Career of Sudip Roy
Sudip Roy has created a monumental and figurative work for most part of his life, until he shifted to moody momentousness. He started doing large abstracted works which reflected times of the day.
Voluminous sweeps of colour, drawing concurrently on still perceptions, with a light hand and the melodious design of colour's vapid vacuous tonality, these works are, as if, Sudip's encounter with history of realism, abandoning and reconciling into the magic of Abstract Expressionism.
Roy is popular for his use of water colour of the Benaras series. His older works have more resale value. He is known for sceneries and his knowledge for the same is unmatched in this field. He is the first Indian artist who created and painted the baby BMW for the German company.
His work of art overlaps maximal instincts as well expressionist paintings. He discards an insistent flatness in favour of three-dimensionality, turning from the canvas to a series of densely coloured fragments delineated by strong contours.
Exhibitions / Shows by Sudip Roy
* 1993 Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai
* 1993 Chitrakoot Art Gallery, Kolkata
* 1994 Sridharani Art Gallery, New Delhi
* 1995 Art Heritage, New Delhi
* 1996 Art Today, New Delhi (Two Man Show)
* 1996 Jehangiri Art Gallery, Mumbai
* 1997 Gallery Renaissance, Bengaluru
* 1998 Art Today, New Delhi
* 1999 Gallery Aurodhan, Puducherry
* 1984 Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata
* 1989 BITM, Kolkata
* 1991 Organised by CAG, Kolkata
* 1991 Organised by the Union of the Artists of Uzbekistan, USSR
* 1992 Organised by Gallery Ganesha, New Delhi
* 1993 Organised by GALLERIE 88, Kolkata
* 1997 Organised by Jam Art Gallery, Japan
* Gold Medal from Sahitya Parishad, Kolkata in 1979
* Award from AIFACS, New Delhi in 1991
(Last Updated on : 16-12-2011)
|More Articles in Painters of India (126)|