Location of Jhulta Minar
Jhulta Minar, the 500-year-old structure is located in the Sakar Bazar of Ahmedabad. The minarets are the tallest in Ahmedabad and are now located to the north of Ahmedabad Junction railway station.
History of Jhulta Minar
According to history, a slave of Sultan Sidi Bashir constructed the Siddi Bashir’s Mosque and the minarets in the year 1461. There are many myths surrounding the Jhulta Minar or the Shaking Minarets and the most popular belief is that it was done to avoid the earthquakes. The body of the building was destroyed in 1753 during the war between the Marathas and the Khan of Gujarat Sultanate; only two minarets and the arched central gateway connecting them are remaining.
Architecture of Jhulta Minar
Jhulta Minar use to be the entrance of the mosque. Each of the minarets is three-storey tall and is intricately designed. The minarets are well carved and have stone balconies that are around 21.34 meters high. The striking feature of these Minarets is when one minaret is shaken the other one also vibrates. This phenomenon was first observed in the 19th century by Monier M. Williams, an English Sanskrit scholar. It is these movements that have led to its name, Jhulta Minar which translates to swinging minaret. However, the most surprising fact about the Jhulta Minar in Ahmedabad is their connecting passage which remains free of any kind of vibration.
It is also said that Britishers were so curious to learn the mystery of the Jhulta Minar, that they destroyed one of the minarets in the Raj Bibi mosque. These structures have left the best of architects and pioneering design engineers intrigued and in unresolved wonder. One of the most beautiful architectural marvels, the Jhulta Minar in Ahmedabad is one of the finest tourist places in the city.
|More Articles in Monuments in Ahmedabad (11)|