Premature greying of hair is often a great concern for younger adults in their 20’s or 30’s as grey hair make them look much older than they are. The problem can be caused by factors like a genetic predisposition, poor nutrition, hormonal fluctuations, smoking, pollution, stress, use of unsuitable hair products and certain diseases such as chronic colds, sinusitis and thyroid disorders.
Diet Therapy of Premature Greying of Hair
Diet is of supreme significance in the natural remedy to prevent and cure the premature greying of hair. Drinking a litre of yogurt on a daily basis with a tablespoon of yeast before each meal will be an admirable medication for the prevention and treatment of premature greying of hair. Carrots are in particular useful in furnishing fresh blood and maintaining the health of the hair.
The vitamins considered functional to prevent premature greying of hair are Pantothenic Acid, Para-Amino Benzoic Acid and Inositol. To gain satisfactory results, all three of these vitamins, belonging to B group, should be supplied at one time if possible in a form which gives all B vitamins, such as yeast, wheat germ and liver.
Home Remedies for Premature Greying of Hair
Certain home remedies have been found valuable in the prevention and treatment of premature greying of hair.
1. The foremost among these is the use of Indian gooseberry or amla which is an important hair tonic for enriching hair growth and hair pigmentation. The fruit, cut into pieces and should be dried. These pieces should be boiled in coconut oil till the solid matter become little charred dust. This darkish oil is very useful in preventing greying.
2. The water in which dried amla pieces are soaked overnight is considered exceedingly advantageous in the treatment of premature greying of hair. This water should be used for the last rinse while washing the hair.
3. Massaging the scalp with a teaspoonful of amla juice mixed with a teaspoonful of almond oil or few drops of lime juice, every night has proved useful in the prevention and treatment of premature greying of hair.
4. Liberal intake of curry leaves is considered beneficial in preventing premature greying of hair. The leaves can be used in the form of chutney or these may be squeezed in buttermilk or lassi. When the leaves are boiled in coconut oil, the oil forms an outstanding hair tonic to encourage hair growth and bring back hair pigmentation.
5. The butter made from cow’s milk has the property to prevent premature greying of hair.
6. ‘Jhingaka’ or Ridged gourd, known as ‘Torai’ in the vernacular, boiled in coconut oil is another effective medication for premature greying of hair. Pieces of this vegetable should be dried and then soaked in coconut oil and kept aside for 3 or 4 days. The oil should then be boiled till the solid is reduced to a blackened deposit.
7. The paste of henna leaves, boiled in coconut oil to get darkish oil, can be used as a hair dye to blacken grey hair. The paste itself can be applied to the hair and washed away after a few hours to dye the grey hair.
8. Washing the hair with concentrated tea extract twice a week is also considered functional in colouring grey hair to brown or black.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Premature Greying of Hair
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|