Raw Juice Therapy for Influenza
The patient should abstain from all solid foods and only drink fruit and vegetable juices diluted with water, depending on the severity of the disease. The juice fast should be continued till the temperature comes down to normal. The warm water enema should be taken on a daily basis during this period to cleanse the bowels.
Diet Therapy for Influenza
After fever subsides the patient may adopt an all-fruit diet for 2 or 3 days. In this regimen, the patient should take 3 meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as apples, pears, grapes, oranges, pineapple, peaches and melons at 5 hourly intervals. Bananas or dried, stewed or tinned fruits however, should not be taken. No other food stuff should be added to the fruit meals; otherwise the value of the treatment will be lost.
After the fruit diet, the patient may take on a well-balanced diet of 3 basic food groups namely, (i) seeds, nuts and grains, (ii) vegetables, and (iii) fruits. Lemon juice may be used in salad dressing. Spices and condiments, and pickles, which make food more palatal and lead to overeating, must be avoided.
Home Remedies for Influenza
Certain remedies have been found highly advantageous in the treatment of influenza. Some of them are as follows:
1. The most significant of these is the use of long pepper. Half a teaspoonful of the powder of the long pepper with 2 teaspoonfuls of honey and half a teaspoonful of juice of ginger should be taken thrice a day. This will help to a great extent if taken in initial stages of the disease. It is particularly useful in avoiding complications which follow the onset of the disease, namely, the involvement of the larynx and bronchial tube.
2. Honey is known to boost the immune system and help reduce symptoms of the common flu. It also has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that can speed up the healing process. Simply take one tablespoon of honey with a glass of water several times a day.
3. Ginger has long been a popular natural remedy for many health problems, including influenza. The powerful anti-inflammatory properties as well as the warming nature of ginger help treat various symptoms of the flu. Plus, it helps strengthen the immune system to fight off viruses that cause influenza.
4. Another excellent medication for influenza is the green leaves of basil or Tulsi plant. About 1 gram of these leaves should be boiled along with some ginger n half a litre of water till about half the water is left. This decoction should be taken as tea. It gives instant relief.
5. Garlic is also another effective food medicine for influenza. Garlic is useful as a general antiseptic and should be given as much as the patient can bear. Garlic juice may also be sucked up the nose.
6. A teaspoonful of turmeric powder should be mixed in a cup of warm milk and taken three times in the day. It will prevent complications arising from influenza and also activate the liver which becomes sluggish during the attack.
7. Lemon has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that work together to weaken the flu virus in the body as well as its annoying symptoms.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Raw Juice Therapy