Diet Therapy for Heart Disease
A curative diet designed to improve the quality of general nutritional intake can, in many cases, reverse the degenerative changes which have occurred in the heart and blood vessels. The diet should be lacto-vegetarian, low in sodium and calories. Diet should incorporate high quality, natural organic foods, with emphasis on whole grains, seeds, fresh fruits and vegetables.
Best food sources are unrefined, raw, crude vegetable oils, seeds and grains. Fruits and vegetables in general are extremely beneficial in the cure of heart disease. Fresh apples, grapes, pineapples, oranges, custard apples, pomegranates and coconut water also tone up the heart.
The following is the suggested diet for persons suffering from hypertension or some disorder of the heart:
Foods which should be eliminated are all white flour products, sweets, chocolates, canned foods in syrup, soft drinks, squashes, all hard fats of animal origin such as butter, cream and fatty meats. Salt and sugar should be reduced considerably. The patient should also avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and tobacco.
Home Remedies for Heart Disease
1. Garlic can reduce the cholesterol level in persons whose body in general cannot control the cholesterol fractions.
2. Other important cholesterol lowering foods are alfalfa and yogurt.
3. Grapes are useful in heart pain and palpitation of the heart. Grape juice in particular will be valuable when one is in fact suffering from a heart attack.
4. Indian gooseberry or amla is considered an effective home medication for heart disease.
5. Another excellent home remedy for heart disease is onions. They are functional in normalising the percentage of blood cholesterol by oxidising excess cholesterol. One teaspoon of raw onion juice first thing in the morning will be extremely advantageous in such cases.
6. Honey has marvellous properties to prevent all sorts of heart disease. It tones up the heart and improves the circulation. It is also effective in cardiac pain and palpitation of the heart. One tablespoonful on a daily basis after food is sufficient to prevent all sorts of heart troubles.
Water Therapy for Heart Disease
The use of an ice bag on the spinal area between the 2nd and 10th thoracic vertebrae for 30 minutes 3 times a week, a hot compress applied to the left side of the neck for 30 minutes every alternate day and massage of the abdomen and upper back muscles are water treatments which are beneficial in cases of heart disease. Hot foot and hand baths are exceptional for relieving the pain of angina pectoris.
Exercise for Heart Disease
Yoga Asanas such as Shavasana, Vajrasana, and Gomukhasana, Yogic Kriyas like Jalneti and Pranayamas such as Shitali, Sitkari and Bhramari are also helpful in providing respite to heart patients.
Naturopathy and Diseases
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|