Hair fall can affect both men and women. There are lots of factors behind this hair fall problem. While genes play a vital role, there are usually other reasons as well, including, hormonal imbalances, under-active thyroid gland, nutritional deficiencies and insufficient blood circulation in the scalp. Hair loss is a vast problem that many people are suffering from.
Diet Therapy for Hair Fall
Persons with a propensity to lose hair should thus take a well balanced and proper diet, made up of foods which in combination should supply all the necessary nutrients. It has been found that a diet which contains liberal quantities of foods such as;
(i) Seeds, Nuts and Grains,
(ii) Vegetables and
(iii) Fruits, would supply sufficient amounts of all the essential nutrients.
Each food group should more or less form the bulk of one of the 3 principal meals. These foods should, however, be supplemented with certain special foods like milk, wheat germ, vegetable oils, honey, yeast and liver.
Home Remedies for Hair Fall
A number of home remedies have been found functional in the prevention and treatment of the loss of the hair.
1. The most successful among these remedies is a vigorous rubbing of the scalp with fingers after washing the hair with cold water. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat. It will make active the sebaceous glands and energise the circulation of blood in the affected area, making the hair grow healthy.
2. Amla oil, prepared by boiling dry pieces of amla in coconut oil, is considered an important hair tonic for enriching hair growth. A mixture of equal quantity of fresh amla juice and lime juice used as a shampoo stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss.
3. Lettuce (salad- ka- patta) is valuable in preventing hair loss through deficiencies. A concoction of lettuce and spinach juice is said to help the growth of hair if it is drunk to the extent of half a litre a day.
4. The juice of alfalfa in combination with carrot and lettuce juice, taken on a daily basis also helps the growth of hair to a notable extent. The combination of these juices is rich in elements which are chiefly useful for the growth of hair. While preparing alfalfa juice, the leaves of the plant only may be used when it can be obtained fresh.
5. Daily application of refined coconut oil mixed with lime juice on the hair, prevents loss of hair and lengthens them.
6. Application of the juice of green coriander leaves on the head is also considered advantageous.
7. Amaranth also known as "Chaulai Ka Saag" is another valuable remedy. Application of its fresh leaf-juice helps the growth of the hair and keeps them soft.
8. Mustard oil, boiled with henna leaves, is useful in healthy growth of hair. A regular massage of the head with this oil will produce abundant hair.
9. One more valuable home medication for loss of hair is the application of coconut milk all over the scalp and massaging it into the hair loss. It will nourish the hair and encourage hair growth. The coconut milk is prepared by grinding the coconut shavings and squeezing it well.
10. Washing the hair with a paste of cooked black gram dal and fenugreek lengthens the hair.
11. A fine paste made from pigeon pea or red gram can also be applied on a regular basis with beneficial results on bald patches.
12. Regular use of castor oil as hair oil helps the abundant growth of the hair.
13. Certain home remedies have also been found useful in case of patchy loss of hair. The seeds of lime and black pepper seeds, ground to get a fine paste, are one of the valuable remedies. This paste applied on the patches, has slightly irritant action. This increases blood circulation in the affected area and stimulates hair growth. The paste should be applied twice a day for a few weeks.
14. Another practical remedy for patchy loss of hair is the paste of liquorice (mulethi) made by grinding the pieces in milk with a pinch of saffron. This paste should be applied over the bald patches in the night before going to bed.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Causes of Hair Fall
Treatments of Hair Fall
Homeopathic Treatment of Hair Fall
Treatment of Hair Fall by Aromatherapy
(Last Updated on : 03-06-2016)
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|