Symptoms of Cirrhosis include loss of appetite, fatigue, nausea and vomiting, weight loss, itchy skin, jaundice, edema, muscle cramps, a tendency to bleed and bruise more easily and the appearance of small, spider-like blood vessels under the skin.
Diet Therapy for Cirrhosis of Liver
A sufficient high quality protein diet is necessary in cirrhosis. In this regimen, the patient should have 3 meals a day, each of fresh juicy fruits and milk.
• Initially the patient should undergo an initial liver cleaning programme with a juice fast for 7 days. Freshly extracted juices from red beets, lemon, papaya and grapes may be taken all through this period.
• This may be followed by the fruit and milk diet for 2 to 3 weeks.
• One litre of milk may be taken on the first day. It should be
increased by 250 ml. daily up to 2 to 2.5 litres a day. The milk should be fresh and may be slightly warmed if desired.
Following the fruit and milk diet, the patient may gradually embark upon a well-balanced diet of three basic food groups, namely;
(i) Seeds, Nuts and Grains
(iii) Fruits, with emphasis on raw organically grown foods
The best complete proteins for liver patients are obtained from goat’s milk, home-made raw cottage cheese, sprouted seeds and grains and raw nuts, especially almonds. Vegetables such as beets, squashes, bitter gourd, egg-plant, tomato, carrot, radishes and papaya are helpful in this condition. The fruits may include apples, pears, grapes, grape fruit, pineapples and peaches.
Cautions for Cirrhosis of Liver
All fats and oils should be excluded from the diet for several weeks. The patient should avoid all refined, processed and canned foods, sugar in any form, spices and condiments, strong tea and coffee, fried foods, all preparations cooked in ghee, oil or butter and all meats rich in fat. The use of salt should be constrained. The patient should also keep away from all chemical additives in food and poisons in air, water and environment.
Home Remedies for Cirrhosis of Liver
1. Milk thistle is a useful remedy for cirrhosis. It contains an active ingredient with strong antioxidant properties and detoxifying and hepatoprotective effects.
2. Papaya seeds can help in the treatment of cirrhosis of the liver by aiding liver detoxification. Grind some fresh papaya seeds to extract 1 tablespoon of juice. Add 10 drops of lemon juice. Drink it once or twice daily for 1 month.
Water Therapy for Cirrhosis of Liver
Warm water enema should be used during the treatment to cleanse the bowels. If constipation is habitual, all steps should be taken for its eradication. Application of alternate compress to liver area followed by general wet sheet rub is useful. The morning dry friction and breathing and other exercises should form a regular daily aspect of the treatment.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Cirrhosis of Liver
Types of Liver Disorders
Causes of Liver Disorders
Treatment of Liver Disorders
(Last Updated on : 07-06-2016)
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|