Secunderabad is one of the largest cantonments in India, laid out from 1806 for the British Subsidiary Force following the treaty of 1798 secured by Major James Achilles Kirkpatrick. As Secunderabad grew to become the largest British cantonment in India, it developed its own distinct identity. Visitors to this region usually visit famous towns situated in the district that include Begumpet, Bolarum, Marredpalli, Trimulgherry, and Sanathnagar. Secunderabad, like Hyderabad, boasts of a number of upcoming business and suburban places in Andhra Pradesh state that are in high demand. Though there are not too many historical monuments found here, Secunderabad is still a favourite among tourists visiting Andhra Pradesh. A few monuments of Secunderabad are worth a mention here.
The entire city is laid out in a typical cantonment grid pattern, with the large Brigade parade ground and racecourse near the centre. A few monuments on note may be mentioned here. The Trimulgherry Fort is situated in the cantonment area. Built in 1857, the fort has a three- mile trench running its length. At one point in time, the fort comprised of arsenals, stables, barracks, military offices, mews and mess houses. It now houses a military hospital.
The Rashtrapati Nilayam at Secunderabad is considered to be the equivalent of the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. It serves as the temporary office of the president when he is on his annual trip to South India. The building gets transformed into a grand office when the president visits here.
There is a large entrenched camp located 3 miles to the North-East of Secunderabad, at Trimalgiri. The large castellated building, known locally as Windsor Castle built in the late 19th century, was a military prison. It is a gloomy Military Prison from Victorian times, which is no longer in use. The station hospital lies south of the south-east bastion.
Other notable buildings here include, King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, the United Services Club - a local landmark - and, on the road to Begampet, the buildings where Sir Ronald Ross identified the link between malaria and mosquitoes.
A few monuments of religious significance can also be found at Secunderabad. Amongst the churches St. John's Church is to a conventional classical design. It retains many military memorials from 1818 onwards. The Trinity Church was once famous among the British regiments. It is now maintained by the local church community. A large number of British tombs and memorials are found at the Parade Ground Cemetery. The Old Lancer Lines Cemetery is enclosed by a wall built in 1822 by HM 30th Regiment.
Lying to the East of the Husain Sagar Lake are found some tombs and dargahs. The Tomb of Abdul Haq Diler Jung is adorned with elaborate carved jali screens. Within the compound of the Paigarh Palace, opposite the Police Lines, is a large mosque copied from a Spanish prototype and built in 1906. It has octagonal domes and minarets with Moorish arches.
The Shrine of Maula Ali lies four miles to the West of Secunderabad. It has a mosque surrounded by ancient remains, which include an old citadel and an extensive pre-historic cemetery. Maharaja Chandulal's temple is situated in the village of Alwar, on the way to Amravati. It contains a silver idol dedicated to Lord Venkateshwara. This temple was built in 1860.
The monuments of Secunderabad, though not many in number, are well worth a visit.