There are two stone forts found at Daman, situated on either side of the river Damaoganga. One of the forts is square in shape and contains the ruins of old monastic establishments, the Governor's Palace, barracks, hospital and other public buildings, including two churches. The landward side is protected by a ditch and drawbridge. The northwest bastion commands the harbour entrance.
The smaller fort of St Jerome, with high stone walls, comprises an irregular quadrilateral enclosing a church, parochial house and cemetery. A few cannon and gun carriages remain on the outer walls.
Also found at Daman are some churches built by the Christianity-professing Portuguese. Near the fort is the Church of Our Lady of Peace. It was built in 1901 and has a fine classical fa‡ade of twelve columns crowned by a cross. It was renovated in 1966. The Church of Bom Jesus is a massive structure, built in 1606. The main altar, which is carved and gilded, is embellished with the statues of six saints and a centrepiece of Our Lady of the Rosary.
The Church of Our Lady of Remedies was built in 1607. It has a total of five altars. The main altar is carved with gilded wood and has seventeenth century engravings on it.
|More Articles in Monuments Of West India (4)|