History of Chunar
Though Chunar is a small town, it is a place of great importance in history. The old name of Chunar was Charanadri. The place is also known as Nainagarh. Maharaja Vikrmaditya, the King of Ujjain, built the Chunar Fort. The Chunar city is located on the Vindhyan range of mountains. The sactred river, Ganga flows nera its base. In 1772 AD, this fort was captured by East India Company who established there a depot for ammunition. Later it was captured by Maharaja Chet Singh of Benaras. After the Chet Singh outbreak in 1781 AD Warren Hestings retired to Chunar where a force wascollected by Major Phophan, which expelled Chet Singh from his strong hold in his neighborhood.
Geography of Chunar
Chunar is situated in the Vindhya Ranges. The District headquarters of Chunar is Mirzapur. Chunar town has the shape of a triangle and exists on the right bank of holy Ganga and the left bank of the Jirgo dam. The district headquarters of Chunar is Mirzapur. Chunar has the shape of a triangle. The city is located at 25.13° N 82.9° E. It has an average elevation of 84 metres.
Places of interest in Chunar
The important places of interest in Chunnar are :
(Last Updated on : 04-07-2014)
|More Articles in Cities of Uttar Pradesh (244)|