History of Chunchura Town
The town of Chunchura in the Hoogly district was found by the Portuguese in the year 1579. The town mostly flourished as a trading port and in the 17th century, the Portuguese was expelled by the Mughal rulers. After the Mughals it was the turn of the British force who had occupied the town from the Portuguese rulers in 1759. Again in the year 1814, Chunchura came under the domination of the Dutch rulers and it became an establishment of the Dutch. The town is located at a juncture of 22.90 degrees north and 88.39 degrees east longitude.
Demography of Chunchura Town
According to the census of 2001, the town has a population of 170,201. There is more number of males than the number of females in the town and the average literacy rate of Chunchura are equal to 81 percent. Even in terms of literacy the town has more literate males than females. Population under six years of age constitutes 8 percent of the total population of the town.
Education of Chunchura Town
The town of Chunchura had contributed greatly during Bengal Renaissance in the field of education. There are several famous schools and colleges in the town. Some of the well known academic institutes of the region are Don Bosco School, Auxilium Convent School, Hooghly Mohsin College, Hooghly Institute of Technology, Techno India College and a lot more.
Major Attractions of Chunchura Town
Chunchura had played an important role in Bengal Renaissance and freedom movement of the country. Some of the well known personalities of the freedom movement had honoured the place with their presence. The famous writer Bankim Chandra Chatterjee had penned down the national song, Vande Mataram in the town of Chunchura. Some of the other well known attractions of the place are Temple of Shandeshwar, Diocese Church, Armenian Church, Chinsurah maidan, District Court building, Ghorir More, Dutch Cemetery, Hooghly Imambara, Temple of Mahishmardini and a lot more. Besides these places of interest, there are other historical buildings and monuments that add to the aura of the town
Some notable places around the town of Chunchura are Bandel Church and Chandernagore French Museum.
Hence it can be concluded saying that the town of Chunchura has historical importance and till today carries some of its historical reminiscences.
|More Articles in Cities of West Bengal (152)|