The university town of Manipal was founded by T. M. A. Pai in 1953. He was the first man to a start private, self financing medical college offering MBBS in India. He established the Manipal Institute of Technology in 1957, which was followed by a string of other education institutions including Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal College of Dental Sciences and Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
After his demise his son Ramdas Pai has taken over the management of the university. The Manipal town has been converted into a university town with emphasis on eco-friendly living by Manipal University.
Manipal University offers 264 courses offered across 14 professional streams. Some of the constituent colleges are:
* Kasturba Medical College Manipal and Mangalore
* Melaka Manipal Medical College, branch campuses in Manipal and Melaka, Malaysia
* Manipal Life Science Centre, Manipal
* Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
* Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
* Manipal School of Architecture & Planning, Manipal
* Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal and Mangalore
* Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
* Business Management
* Manipal Institute of Management, Manipal
* Hotel Management
* Manipal Institute of Jewellery Management, Manipal