History of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University
Established in August 1982 by the Act of the State Legislature, the Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University was inaugurated by the President of India. The university was renamed as Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University on 24th October, 1991 after the architect of the Indian constitution, Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar on the occasion of his birth centenary. The founder and first vice chancellor of the university was Professor G. Ram Reddy. The aim of the university is to provide an opportunity to those who are not in a position to avail themselves of the facilities for higher education. The university has a flexible approach to eligibility, age of entry, choice of courses, method of learning, conduct of exams and operation of educational programmes.
Functions of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University
The Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University offers an alternative channel to those who missed the opportunities for a higher education. It caters specially to women, working people and those who want to improve their academic qualifications and professional skills. It lays special focus on socially disadvantaged and geographically isolated people who never had access to higher education earlier. The university makes use of a variety of learning media including radio, television, film, audio cassette and the printed study material, besides arranging contact and counselling programmes and practical which makes for the traditional teacher-student interaction. The Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University functions through a network of 117 study centres located in the twin-cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad and all the districts of the state. The students receive guidance and counselling from the counsellors at the study centres.
Campus of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University
The campus of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University is located on an elevated site of 53.63 acres in Jubilee Hills. The campus has the administrative and support services block, the grade building, academic branch and library building, study material house, an extensive open plaza, a conference hall, and an auditorium named after Late Sri Bhavanam Venkatram, former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh who was instrumental in establishing this university.
Courses offered at Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University
The university offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The various diploma programmes offered are:
• Bachelor Degree in Library & Information Science
• Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations (BPR)
• Bachelor's Degree in any subject
• P.G. Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM)
• P.G. Diploma in Business Finance (PGDBF)
• P.G. Diploma in Environmental Studies (PGDES)
• P.G. Diploma in Writing for Mass Media in Telugu (PGDWMMT)
• P.G. Diploma in Human Rights (PGDHR)
• P.G. Diploma in Women's Studies(PGDWS)
• P.G. Diploma in Preventive & Promotive Health Care
• P.G. Diploma in Holistic Health
• P.G. Diploma in Wellness Mgmt.
• Certificate Program in Food & Nutrition (CPFN)
• Certificate Programmes: Motor Insurance Fire Insurance Medical
• Insurance Life Insurance & Pension Planning.
• Master's Degree in Library & Information Science
(Last Updated on : 03-01-2019)
|More Articles in Universities of Andhra Pradesh (14)|