(Last Updated on : 24/07/2010)
Situated in the Shekhawati region
Mukandgarh is a city in the Jhunjhunu
district. It is a few kilometers from Nawalgarh, and was founded by Thakur Mukund Singhji Saheb in the 18th century. It was the Thikana of Bojrajji ka Shekhawats. The neighbouring towns of Mukandgarh are Dundlod at a distance of 2 kilometers, Nawalgarh at a distance of 13 kilometers, Mandawa at a distance of 14 kilometers and Jhunjhunu at a distance of 27 kilometers. The nearest connecting points are Nawalgarh Railway Station and Sanganer Airport
The Indian Census report of 2001, states that Mukandgarh had a population of 17,790. Males account for 51 percent of the population and females constitutes the remaining 49 percent. In Mukandgarh, 18 percent of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mukandgarh is 55 percent, which is lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5 percent. The male literacy rate is 68 percent and the female literacy rate is 43 percent.
Renowned for its textiles, brassware and iron scissors, Mukandgarh also has a good market for handicrafts. The town consists of numerous havelis which draws tourists from far and beyond. Prominent ones are Fort William Haveli, Ghuwale Wolon ki Haveli, Devki Nandan Murarka Haveli, Ganga Bux Saraf Haveli and Shankar Lal Nangalia Haveli. The havelis of Kanoria, Ganeriwal and Saraf exemplifies the beautiful fresco paintings. The other attractions of Mukandgarh are Gopi Nath Temple, Venu Gopal Mandir, Raj Kumar Ganeriwala Kala Kendra, and Kalu Ram Hakma ki Baithak.