(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Mehnagar is an ancient 'panchayat town' situated in Azamgarh district of the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. The district headquarters town of Azamgarh is located at a distance of 36 kms. Geographically, the town is located between 25.88° North latitude and 83.12° East longitude at an average altitude of 61 metres (200 feet) above mean sea level.
It is necessary to know the demography of the town in order to have an idea about the population. According to the Indian Census report published in 2001, the population of Mehnagar was enumerated to be 13,319. Males account for 52% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 48%. In Mehnagar, 18% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mehnagar is 63% which is higher than the national average literacy rate which is 59.5%. To be precise, the male literacy rate is 72% is higher than the female literacy rate which is 53%.
A major landmark of the town is an ancient fort built by king Haribans. Every year a religious fair is held in Madilaha, which is located at a distance of 3 kms from Mehnagar, draws a large number of visitors.