(Last Updated on : 27-01-2010)
Mehatpur Basdehra is a major industrial town situated in the Una district of the northern state of India, Himachal Pradesh. The nearest railway station is at Raimehatpur in Punjab and the nearest airport is at Chandigarh. The neighbouring towns are Gagret, Dehlan, Una, Talewala and Pandoga. Chandigarh and Una are also located in the vicinity.
The Indian Census report of 2001 states Mehatpur Basdehra had a population of 8686. To be specific, males account for 54% of the population and females account for the remaining 46%. In Mehatpur Basdehra, 14% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also provides information about the literacy rate of the population, which is 66%. This is definitely a sign of development because the national average literacy rate is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 70%, which is higher than the female literacy rate, which is 62%.