(Last Updated on : 23-07-2010)
Mecheri is a prominent ' panchayat town' located in Salem district of the southern state of India, Tamil Nadu. Mecheri got its name from the Tamil word 'Mechal Eri' which means grazing tank. Good road system helps it to connect to Perumbalai and Toppur of Dharmapuri district and Omalur and Nangavalli of Salem district. Salem, the district headquarters is located at a distance of 31 kms. The Salem Junction Railway Station located in the neighbourhood facilitates communication for the town. The nearest railway station is the Mettur Dam Railway Station and the nearest airport is the Salem Airport
It is necessary to know the Census report of the town in order to get an idea about the population. According to the Indian Census report published in 2001, the population of Mecheri has been enumerated to be 21,020. Males account for 53% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 47%. In Mecheri, 125 of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mecheri is 59% that is slightly lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 66% and the female literacy rate is 50%.
Located on the way to Mettur from Dharmapuri and Omalur, the Mettur Dam built across the River Cauvery is a major landmark as well as a tourist destination. Arulmigu Badrakaliamman Temple is another attraction of the town. The hill station of Yercaud is easily accessible from Mecheri.