(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Mariahu is a prominent town located in the Jaunpur district of the northern state of India, Uttar Pradesh. It is about 15 km. from Jaunpur and is situated at the convergence points of roads coming from Machhlishahar, Jaunpur, Bhadohi and Varanasi. Geographically, the town is located between 25.62° North latitude and 82.62° East longitude at an average elevation of 87 metres (285 feet) above mean sea level. The nearest ' access points' are Mariahu Railway Station on the Zafarabad - Janghai Junction rail route and the airport at Varanasi.
As per the Indian Census report of 2001, Mariahu had a population of 20, 142. To be specific, males account for 53% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 47%. In Mariahu, 17% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of the town, which gives an idea about the status of the population. The average literacy rate of Mariahu is 59%, which is slightly lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 67% and the female literacy rate is 50%.
Trilochan Mahadev Temple is a major landmark of the town.