(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Mangalvedhe is a city located in the Solapur district of the western state of India, Maharashtra. It is located on the southwest of Solapur at a distance of 20 km. on the Sangole Solapur route. The nearby towns are Sangole, Pandharpur and Solapur, which are easily accessible by buses. The nearest 'access points' are the Pandharpur Railway Station and Pune Lohegaon Airport.
According to the Indian Census report of 2001, Mangalvedhe had a population of 21, 694. Males comprises of 52% of the population and females account for the remaining 48%. In Mangalvedhe, 13% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mangalvedhe is 68%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 76% and the female literacy rate is 60%.
A prominent religious destination, Mangalvedhe is the birthplace of Shri Jayatirtha also called Teekacharya, a famous saint of the Dvaita school of Vedanata. Vithal-Rukmini Temple at Pandharpur, Trimbakeshwar Temple and Vishnupad Temple are other attractions for devotees in the vicinity.