(Last Updated on : 08/05/2015)
Mangaldoi is a prominent city located in the west of Guwahati
at a distance of 70 km, situated in the Darrang district
of the north eastern state of Assam
, India. It is the administrative headquarters of the Darrang district. This city is a major trading center for agricultural products in the district. Mangaldoi is located at an average elevation of 34 m. Situated at the north bank of Brahmaputra River
; the town is 65 km from Guwahati. Its total area is 5 sqkm.
Villages nearby include Upahupara, Dighirpar, Aulachowka, Saikiapara, Lengeripara, Chapai, Menapara, Dhula, Patharughat, Balipota, Sipajhar, Maroi, Duminichowki, Sanowa, Deomornoi, Kalaigaon, Balugaon and Dalgaon.
Etymology of Mangaldoi
The place is named after the daughter of King of Darrang, who was called "Mangaldahi" and was married to Ahom
King Pratap Singha.
History of Mangaldoi
The antiquity of Mangaldoi dates back to the beginning of the 16th century when the Koch King Nara Narayan incorporated Darrang in his Kingdom. In 1637, the Ahom Kingdom was established in the land after the death of the then Koch King Bali Narayana. In 1792, Darrang Raja was defeated by an expeditionary force under the command of Captain Welsh and in 1826.
Demography of Mangaldoi
As per the Indian Census report of 2011, Mangaldoi had a population of 42,946. Males comprise of 52% of the population and females account for the remaining 48%. In Mangaldoi, 11% of the population is less than 6 years of age. The average literacy rate of Mangaldoi is 81%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 85% and the female literacy rate is 76%.
Places to Visit at Mangaldoi
Mangaldoi is popular for its many attractions like Gandhi Smriti Park, Patharughat Shaheed Minar and Khatra Satra. Kamakshya Devalaya, Pukhuria Beel, Bar Masjid and Dihing Satra are other tourist attractions in the destination.
The Basistha Ashram
, Sankardeva Kalashetra and Assam State Museum
at Guwahati and Bhairav Kund located around Mangaldoi enhance the tourism quotient of the town. Boating and camping are some of the main tourist activities in the destination. Bornadi Wildlife Sanctuary
and Orang National Park
are the two major wildlife reserves near Mangaldoi. The peak tourist season in Mangaldoi extends from October through April, which is suitable for indulging in adventure activities and sightseeing.
Transportation of Mangaldoi
The NH 52 passes through Mangaldoi making it easily accessible from the other parts of state. The nearest airport is at Guwahati. There is no railway station near to Mangaldoi in less than 10 km. How ever Guwahati Railway Station is major railway station 58 km near to Mangaldoi.