(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Mangalampet also known as Mangalampettai, is a 'panchayat town' situated in the Cuddalore district of the southern state of India, Tamil Nadu. Strategically located on the Ulundurpet-Virudhachalam road this town is spread over an area of three square kilometers. It is easily accessible from Tiruchirapalli and Virudhachalam by road. The nearest 'access points' are the airport at Tiruchirapalli and the Vridhachalam Junction Railway Station. Nearby towns are Kammapuram and Nallur.
As per the Indian Census report published in 2001, Mangalampet had a small population of 7327. To be specific, males account for 49% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 51%. In Mangalampet, 12% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also brings out the literacy report of the town, which gives an idea about the status of the population. The average literacy rate of Mangalampet is 68%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 74% and the female literacy rate is 63%.
The Perianayagi Madha Shrine at Konankuppam is a prime attraction in the neighborhood.