(Last Updated on : 22/07/2010)
Malvan is a historic coastal town situated in the Sindhudurg district of the western state of India, Maharashtra. Malvan is located at a distance of 520 km. from Mumbai, the state capital and at a distance of 64 km. from Belgaum. The 'nearest access' points are the railway station at Sawantwadi and airport at Ratnagiri.
This town is an important taluka place and consists of villages namely, Achara, Jamdul, Juva, Pankhol and Sarjekot. The town derives its name from 'Mahalavan', which means a place, which gives salt.
Detailed information of the town can be found in the Indian Census report of 2001. The population of Malvan has been enumerated to be 18,675. Males comprises of 51% of the population and females account for the remaining 49%. In Malvan, 9% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of the town, which is 81%. This is much higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 85% and the female literacy rate is 77%.
Several sun-drenched beaches enhance the tourism quotient of the town. The Tarkarli beach, Malvan beach, Achra Beach, Civla beach, Tondavali beach and the Devbaug Beach are some of the frequently visited beaches. The other prime attractions in the vicinity are the Sindhudurg and the Padamgad forts at a distance of 2 km. In the western part of the Sindhudurg fort is the famous Dhamapur Lake. The Malvan culinary delights are also very delicious and a major attraction for visitors.