Early Life of Nafisa Ali
Nafisa Ali was born on January 18th 1957, to the parents Ahmed Ali and Philomena Torresan. Her father was a renowned photographer. She is also the granddaughter of S Wajid Ali a noted Bengali writer and eminent lawyer. Nafisa studied at La Martiniere Girls, Kolkata. She was also taught under Swami Chinmayananda in Vedanta. Nafisa Ali was a School Champion in Athletics and also the Interschool Athletics Champions in 1973-1974. Being a swimming champion she was nicknamed 'Sizzling Water Baby.' Nafisa Ali was became the National Swimming Champion of India in 1974.
Career of Nafisa Ali
During the period of 1979, Nafisa Ali was a jockey at the Kolkata Gymkhana. This versatile personality has also acted in several Bollywood films. Among them the most notable ones were being Junoon (1979) with Shashi Kapoor and Major Saab with Amitabh Bachchan (1998), Bewafaa (2005) and the most recent being, Life in a Metro (2007) along with veteran actor Dharmendra. She also starred in a Malayalam film called Big B (2007) with Mammootty.
Action India, an organisation working to spread AIDS awareness is privileged to have her support. She is actively associated with the organisation. Nafisa Ali has also stepped into the arena of politics and contested for the 2004 Lok Sabha elections. But she proved to be unsuccessful. Nafisa stood from South Kolkata. She was appointed the Chairperson in September of the year 2005, of the Children's Film Society of India (CFSI). In 2010 she was appointed as the Co-Chairperson of the 'Hospitality Sub Committee' of Commonwealth Games by the Organizing Committee Commonwealth Games Delhi. She is a dedicated and renowned social worker. Her various efforts include
Social activities of Nafisa Ali
She is a dedicated and renowned social worker. Her various efforts include
1. Nafisa Ali began Orissa Cyclone Relief fund When Cyclone struck Orissa causing large-scale destruction and devastation
2. On 26th January, 2001, when the earthquake in Gujarat struck, actualising the modality need for immediate relief in the shelter sector, she took up the issue of reconstruction of homes, worked in 48 villages in Kutchh area and constructed 340 huts for the earthquake affected villages. The largest of the structures built by her was a Maternity and Child Care Centre at New Dudhai, Gujarat.
3. In Riot affected Gujarat; Nafisa Ali worked in an active manner, for the cause of peace and religious harmony working in the troubled areas.
4. A heart touching documentary film on riot-affected Gujarat by the name Where Did We Go Wrong was made by her. The film was sent to all opinion makers of the country.
5. In the field of HIV/AIDS prevention, awareness and care she has worked actively. A documentary film titled United against AIDS was made by her.
6. A Care Home was started by her, named Ashraya for people infected and affected with HIV/AIDS. The Care Home provides holistic care and support to HIV positive people.
7. As a government nominee, she was on the Board of Laxmi Bai College and Delhi Public School, Indirapuram.
8. Nafisa Ali has worked in a staunch manner having a strong mass appeal, for the ideologies and beliefs of the Congress Party. She has served as the Executive Committee Member-Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee.
9. As an activist, Nafisa Ali has fought high-level corruption scams, taking to the streets to endorse the various movements such as, for the lack of power high altitude clothing during the Kargil war, coffin scams, proving the defence deals need to be accountable
Achievements of Nafisa Ali
The achievements of Nafisa Ali include:
* Inter School Athletic Champion, 1973-1974
* National Swimming champion of India in 1974
* Miss India 1976
* Crowned 2nd runner up at Miss International in Tokyo in 1976.
* Worked actively for the welfare of Army Jawans for 15 years, while her husband served in the Indian Army.
* This committed social worker is continuously working for the welfare of others and has given her time for charitable causes in entirety.
* She is First woman, Chairperson of Women's Commission Indian Olympic Association.
* Nafisa Ali has been the Executive Member of Umang Charitable Society and Chairperson of Action India Trust.
* Nafisa Ali was Chairperson, Congress Human Rights Commission (South Delhi)
* She was the Official delegate of India at the Forty Ninth UN Summit on the Status of Women held in New York in March 2005.
* As a Non-Banking Director in a nationalised bank (Indian Bank) for a period of 3 years, she has been appointed by Government of India.
* She is a Board Member of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, in the category of Persons of Eminence Connected with Films and TV, Education, Journalism, Literature, Fine Arts, Dramatics, Performing Arts etc.
Personal Life of Nafisa Ali
Nafisa Ali comes from a very distinctly dissimilar theistic background and environment. She got married to Col R.S Sodhi (Pickles) and the couple has three children. Her husband is a renowned Polo Player and Arjuna Awardee. He is presently involved in the Real-Estate developing business.
Nafisa Ali, a dedicated and hardworking social activist, is working in a systematic and consistent manner, along with NGOs across the country, reaching out to the masses, trying to make a significant difference in the lives of the marginalised and underprivileged.
(Last Updated on : 23-08-2012)
|More Articles in Indian Social Activists (79)|