Bhupinder Singh Hooda, an Indian politician, is the present Chief Minister of Haryana
. Hooda is a well known political figure and is also a member of the Bar council of Punjab
and Haryana. As the member of the Indian National Congress
, from 1996 to 2001, Bhupinder Singh has served as the President of Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee. Bhupinder Singh Hooda was appointed the Chief Minister of Haryana for the 1st time in March 2005.
Early Life of Bhupinder Singh Hooda
Bhupinder Singh Hooda was born on 15th September, 1947 to father Choudhary Ranbir Singh, a well known freedom fighter, at village Sanghi in Rohtak district
. His father was a member of the committee, which was appointed to draft the Constitution of India. Hooda was educated at Punjab University, Chandigarh
and University of Delhi
and obtained B.A., LL.B. By profession, Hooda is an agriculturist and advocate.
Political Career of Bhupinder Singh Hooda
Bhupinder Singh Hooda has been a member of Indian Parliament for four terms, 1991, 1996, 1998, 2004. From 2001 to 2004, he has been the Member of Parliament as the leader of opposition in Haryana`s Legislative Assembly. He defeated Chaudhary Devi Lal, for 3 consecutive Lok Sabha
terms. Devi Lal is a behemoth Jat leader in elections in the Jat heartland of Rohtak district, Haryana. In 1991, when Chaudhary Devi Lal was holding the post of deputy Prime Minister of India, was defeated by Hooda.
Bhupinder Singh Hooda has held various positions through out his Political Career, such as-
* President, Block Congress Committee, Kiloi, Haryana: 1972-1977
* Senior Vice-President, Haryana Pradesh Youth Congress: 1980-82
* President, Haryana Pradesh Youth Congress: 1982-83
* Chairman, Panchayat Samiti, Rohtak: 1983-87
* Chairman, Panchayat Parishad, Haryana: 1984-87
* Elected to 10th Lok Sabha: 1991
* Member, All India Congress Committee: 1992 onwards
* Member, Executive, Congress Parliamentary Party: 1994 onwards
* Convenor, Haryana Congress Parliamentary Group: 1994-1996
* Re-elected to 11th Lok Sabha (2nd term): 1996
* Member, Committee on Agriculture: 1996-97
* President, Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee: 1997-2002
* Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (3rd term) Member, Executive Committee: 1998
* Member. Committee on Agriculture; Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation;
* Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Communication: 1998-99
* Elected to 9th Haryana Vidhan Sabha from Kiloi Constituency: 2000
* Leader of Opposition in Haryana Assembly: 2002-2004
* Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (4th term): 2004
* Elected to 10th Haryana Vidhan Sabha (bye election from Kiloi
constituency) with a record margin of 1,03,635 votes: 2005
* Elected Leader of Haryana Legislature Party: March 4, 2005
* Sworn in as Chief Minister of Haryana: March 5, 2005
* Secretary, Jat Education Society, Rohtak, Haryana; Member, Managing Committee,D.A.V.Educational Society, Hasangarh, Haryana
Bhupinder Singh Hooda had a keen interest in sports and thus he strived for the promotion of sports in the rural areas of Haryana. Hooda as a delegate of AICC and OISCA visited World Youth Festival in U.S.S.R, World Parliamentary Conference in China. He has also attended International Conference in USSR and International Conferences in Japan and South Korea. He has also been the President, All India Young Farmers` Association, Haryana; Ex-Member, Market Committee, Rohtak; Director, Bank of India, 1989-92; Secretary, Farmers` Parliamentary Forum, 1991 onwards.
He has also been the Founder-Member and Working President of All India Freedom Fighters` Successors` Organisation; Working President, National Federation Railway Porters, Vendors and Bearers. Bhupinder Singh Hooda was also appointed as the President the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Employees Union and Patron for the National Khadi and Village Industries Board`s Employees Federation - an apex body of all State K&V.I Board`s Employees Unions.
Personal Life of Bhupinder Singh Hooda
On 15th October 1976, Bhupinder Singh Hooda got married to Asha Dahiya and the couple has one son and one daughter.