(Last Updated on : 30/04/2010)
Tourism in Nagapattinam district boasts up with a long stretch of coastline and several temples. It has Shri Kayahorana Swami Neelayathatchi Amman Temple, Sowriraja Perumal Temple, Nellukkadai Mariamman Temple, etc which are the major attractions of this district of Tamil Nadu state. The mini museum, the towering lighthouse and the long beautiful beach are some of the places which are worth a visit. The pillar situated in front of the District Collectorate stands for the victorial achievement of the administration along with the citizens of this district in taking the Guinness record achievement of planting the maximum number of saplings in twenty four hours.
Temples of Nagapattinam district
A beautiful Muragan Temple dedicated to Lord Singaravelan is housed in a large complex at Sikkal in this district. The pillars of this temple are adorned with intricate and exquisite carvings. The beautiful paintings of the bygone era are amazing in colour and portrayal. Apart from this temple, there is also a shrine of Lord Shiva
, Lord Vishnu
and Lord Hanuman
. It is a rare combination, indeed. There is a belief that those who worship in this temple are removed of all their hurdles in life. Thirumullaivasal is located at a distance of about fourteen kilometers to the east of Sirkali. The place is famous for its fine beach, which is full of natural beauty and also holds an ancient temple. The presiding deity of this temple is Arulmigu Mullaivananathar. The Keelaperumpallam temple is another prominent place of worship in this district which is located three kilometers from Poompuhar
. It receives a large number of devotees every day who visit to worship Shri Naganatha Swami. This temple is the seat of the Ninth Navagraha, the Kedhu.
Thiruvengadu is located at a distance of eight kilometers from Poompuhar. There is another Navagraha Budhan which is situated inside the Temple of Arulmigu Swetharanya Swami. A large numbers of devotees from all over India and abroad visit this temple to worship Budhan every day. Another notable temple of this district is Vaitheeswaran Koil. It is situated a distance of twelve kilometers from Mayiladuthurai and five kilometers from Sirkali. This temple is the seat of another Navagraha, the Mars. Thiru Nangore is among the most sacred places of Vaishnava temples in the district. It is located ten kilometers away from Sirkali. Some of the temples at this place include Shri Narayanaperumal Temple, Purushothama Perumal temple, etc. Around Thiru Nangore and in the district of Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu, there are other Vaishnava temples in Thiruvali, Thirunagiri, Keezhasalai and Perumal Koil.
Thirukkadaiyur is on the bus route of Chidhambaram-Nagapattinam. It was in this temple that Lord Shiva
had annihilated Lord Yama
, the God of death to save the life of Markandeya
and bestowed immortality on him. It is one of the most important seats of Shakti. Inside the precincts of the temple of Arulmigu Amerthakadeswarar is situated the Shri Abirami Amman Temple. Sirkali is situated on the main route between Mayiladuthurai and Chidhambaram. Shri Arulmigu Sattanatha Swami temple possesses several wonderful architectural and sculptural features. Every year in the Tamil month of Chithirai, Thirumulaippal festival is celebrated in a very grand way. The Arulmigu Mayuranathar Temple is at Mayiladuthurai in the Nagapattinam district. As per the Hindu mythology, Annai Parasakthi danced in the form of a peacock and hence the place is known as Mayiladuthurai. After worshipping Mayuranathar, devotees can travel all the places of Navagrahas and other important temples by bus. The festival of Holy bath called `Kadai Muzhukku` in the Kaveri River
is celebrated in the month of Ippasi.
Ananthamangalam is situated on the east coast between Nagapattinam and Chidhambaram and it is five kilometers from Thirukkadaiyur. Devotees from various parts visit this temple of Lord Anjaneyar. The divine statue of Anjaneya is unique with its three eyes and ten hands. Special worship of Anjaneya is held on Saturdays and on the days of Amavasya
. Thirunallar is the seat of Lord Saneeswara Bhagawan from among the nine Navagraha places. It is situated at a distance of five kilometers to the west of Karaikkal on the Kumbakonam
main route. Another major temple of this district of Tamil Nadu is the Masilamani Nathar Temple which was constructed in A.D. 1305 by Maravarma Kulasekara Pandiyan.
Nagore is one of the renowned places of pilgrimage in the Nagapattinam district which has the Dargaha of saint Hazrat Meeran Sultan Syed Shahabdul Hammeed (Hazrat Mian). The Dargha is not only visited by the followers of Islam
but also by people of various other faiths. A pristine beach has been developed in Nagore to attract people. The major attractions are beach volleyball, joyful catumaram rides, children`s amusement park and other recreational facilities. A new color has been added to the beach and is maintained by Nagapattinam New Beach Development committee under the chairmanship of the District Collector.
Velankanni is one of the most visited pilgrim centers in India. It is located on the shores of the Bay of Bengal
. This renowned shrine Basilica of our Lady of health draws pilgrims from all over the world. Not only the followers of Christianity
but also the people of other faiths come to this Church to pray at the shrine of `Our lady of health`. The museum, which is situated opposite to the Basilica, has a very rich variety of exhibits. The precious offerings made by the devotees are on display here. Biblical incidents are depicted on both the sidewalls.
Tranguebar or Tharangambadi is located at a distance of thirty five kilometers to the north of Nagapattinam on the east coastal line of Bay of Bengal. The Danish Architecture is the major attraction of Tranguebar. Constructed in 1620, it exists to exhibit the famous Danish architecture. The fort there is now under the control of Tamil Nadu Archeological Department, which houses an archaeological Museum. Another major attraction of this district is the Zion`s Church which was constructed in 1701 and was renovated during 1782 to 1784. The Town Gateway was erected in 1792 on Danish Architectural style. The Danish Governor Bungalow in the district of Nagapattinam got its name as it used to be the residence of Danish Governor in the year 1784.
Apart from the temples, Dargha, churches, museums and beaches, there is also a wild life sanctuary with is worth a visit in this district. The Kodiakkarai which is also called the Point Calimere Sanctuary
lie adjacent to the Palk Strait. Covering an area of more than 312.17 hectares, this Wild Life Sanctuary boasts of mammals like blue buck, bonnet macaque, wild boar, spotted deer, and semi wild ponies. Water birds like flamingoes, ibises, herons, and spoonbills dwell in this sanctuary. Sea turtle
, vipers, starred tortoise, marsh crocodiles, etc., are some of the reptiles found here. Fish, dolphins, dugong
, sea lion, sea cow are occasionally found in this sanctuary. Apart from these, this place also witnesses the occurrence of a variety of corals.