(Last Updated on : 27/06/2011)
Vastu Shastra is the traditional Indian science of construction and Architecture. The basic principles of this ancient science provide permanent prosperity, wealth and peace of mind to the residents. In order to turn the concrete building into a home besides love and care what is required is the basic principles of this ancient science. As the kitchen is one of the most important places in a home as it is directly linked with health, it seems worthwhile to design the kitchen according to the rules laid by Vastu Shastra
When it comes to kitchen, Vastu takes into consideration various things that, when properly placed, ensure safety in the kitchen. Some of the vital factors that are considered are correct direction and location of the kitchen, including the placement of windows and doors, position of various equipments and gadgets. Some of the essential guidelines that need to be considered are:
* The kitchen should be in the south-east corner of the main building or flat as it is dominated by the element of fire. Alternatively the North West area can also be considered.
* The main kitchen the stove or the gas burner should be located in the east and the southeast corner. The platform should not touch the east and the south walls of the kitchen and should be atleast 1-2 inches away from the walls.
* Micro oven, food processors and other electrical equipments should be kept near the kitchen platform on the south wall. An L shaped platform could prove rewarding to the residents.
* The wash basin of the platform should be in the north-east corner, as far as possible from the stove. Pitcher of water and utensils for drinking water should be in the north-east or the north side.
* Indispensable items, such as, boxes of grain, spices, pulses etc. must be kept in the south or the west direction.
* The entrance door of the kitchen should not be constructed in any of the corners. Kitchen doors located in the east, the north and the west will prove to be useful. Small ventilators may be located in the southern areas.
* The gas burner should not be in front of the main door of the kitchen.
* There should be at least one or two windows or air holes in the east and the west directions of the kitchen. An exhaust fan can also be placed.
* In case a dining table is placed in the kitchen, it should be in the north west or the west side.
* Lightweight commodities can be kept in the east or the north directions.
* In the west or the south mezzanine floor of the kitchen should be constructed.
* Cooking should be done while facing the east.
* The colour of the floor and the walls of the kitchen should either be yellow, orange, rose, chocolate or red. However, hues like black or white should be avoided as far as possible.
* A kitchen in the west direction is acceptable. However, if the kitchen is in the north-east direction mental tension increases and one may suffer great losses. If the kitchen is in the southwest direction, life at home will become difficult due to internal strife.
* If a freeze is in the kitchen, it should be kept in the southeast direction, the south, the west or the north directions. It should not be in the northeast direction. If it is in the southwest direction it should be feet away from the corner otherwise it always gets out of order.
* If in a building the kitchen is in the northwest direction, the expenditure of that family will increase and progress is reduced. Moreover there are dangers of getting burnt from fire, hot water etc will also loom. But the most dangerous is a kitchen in the north. This being Kubera's place the expenditure can increase beyond expectations. Clocks should be located on the southwest or the south walls in the kitchen.