was consisted of the 21 Taluks of Arcot, Vellore
, Thiruvathur, Polur, Arani, Wandiwash, Chetpet, Thiruvannamalai, Gingee, Tindivanam, Valudavur, Villupuram,Anniyur, Tirukoilur, Thiruvennainallur, Tiruvadi, Elavanasur, Kallakurichi, Vridhachalam, Tittagudi and Bhuvanagiri but excluded the form of Fort St. David and the territory of Pondicherry. Both of them had been separately acquired and were separately administered. In April 1805, the then Taluk of Mannarkudi which is included as Chidambaram was added from Tiruchirapalli to this huge charge.
In 1808, Arcot, Vellore, Thiruvathur, Polur, and Arani Jagir were transferred to North Arcot and Wandiwash was transferred to Cheingelput. The Fort St. David
villages were incorporated with the District at that time. In 1816, Pondicherry was finally restored to the French and previous South Arcot moved practically its position. Cuddalore was the District Headquarters for South Arcot District for more than a century. This has been mentioned everywhere in the history. The present Cuddalore District has been formed on 30th September 1993.
In Purana this district is described as a part of Sri. Rama Khetra. This district is regarded as a primitive one. Vridhachalam is the example where mountain once prevailed but disappeared at times. In 1962 the madras district gazetteers `South Arcot` published. In that gazette historic evidence of the district were present. In this gazette it was revealed that the name `arcot` is derived from the Tamil word `Aaru kadu`. This means six forests, which was said to be the abode of six rishis. In Tamil this district was called `Thondai Nadu`, in particular `Nadu Naadu `. It has a speciality ` Saandror udaithu`. This means that great and elite personalities possess the district.
This district is the birthplace of Vallalar Ramalingar. The famous temple of Sri Natarajan is situated in this district. It is an interesting subject to scientists and innovators to research on the dancing postage of Lord Sri. Nataraja. This is also regarded as one of the speciality of this district.