History of Loharu Fort
Over the generations, the ownership of the Loharu Fort has been entrusted to various rulers. Two major battles were fought over the fort; the first war was waged over land revenue in 1671 AD between Thakur Madan Singh and the Mughal Governor of Hisar. Soon after, the second one was between Thakur Kirat Singh and Raja Bhopal Singh of Khetri who claimed Loharu as part of Khetri. The ruler of Khetri, Raja Bhopal Singh was defeated in this battle and was killed outside the Loharu Fort. At the place of his cremation, a chhatri or umbrella was built about a kilometre from the fort to honour him.
Eventually, the Loharu Fort came under the control of the Nawabs of Loharu and was under their rule till 1971 when the Late Nawab Aminuddin Ahmed Khan sold it to the Government of Haryana.
Architecture of Loharu Fort
From the year 1870 onwards, pukka construction of the mud fort was started and over the years, the construction of the Loharu Fort came to include an interesting blend of architecture. With ornate Mughal and Rajput architectural styles, the south wing of the fort has the Diwan-E-khas and the Sheesh Mahal. Central to this wing, there were the audience and banquet halls, which was reminiscent of the Victorian style of design. On the right side of the south wing, there is the Zanana Mahal along with the kitchens. And the east wing of the fort was constructed at par with the Delhi Haveli style architecture.
Currently, the Loharu Fort stands uninhabited and in a dilapidated state. The north wing which was a part of the east wing had collapsed and the only surviving portion is the south wing, which is also in a worn out state.
Visiting Information on Loharu Fort
The city of Loharu has its own railway junction, which is located at a mere distance of 850 metres from the fort. The nearest airport is the Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi at a distance of 177 km from the Loharu Fort.
|More Articles in Monuments of Haryana (13)|