Reference of Kalikata
Kalikata was much less important than Sutanuti and Gobindapur, and this, along with the consequent abundance of space, afforded the British room to settle there. While both Sutanati and Gobindapur appear on old maps of 1687 and George Herrons of 1690, Kalikata situated between the two is not depicted.
Development of Sutanati
Job Charnock landed at Sutanuti on 24th August 1690 with the objective of establishing the Bengal Headquarter of British East India Company. As Kalikata did not have any settled native population, it was easy for the British to occupy the site. In 1696, construction of old Fort William began where now General Post Office established, without legal title to the land. Legal title was eventually secured on 10th November 1698 when Charles Eyre, Job Charnocks son-in-law and ultimate successor, acquired the zamindari rights from the Sabarna Roy Choudhury family, the zamindars of the area. It is from this date that Kolkata came legally under British control. Sabarna Roy Choudhury family acquired the village of Kalikata, but they acquired a vast acreage by grant allegedly in 1608 from Raja Man Singh, a maternal cousin of the reigning Mughal emperor Jahangir. However, other sources state that a founder only impressed Man Singh in 1612.
Kalikata and Saborna Roy Chowdhury
The tenure of zamindari system of Saborno Roy Chowdhury was Kalikata, Sutanuti, and Gobindapur. Although in 1698, they were certainly the zemindars, or landlords, with their lands acquired by some sort of grant or lease from the Mughal emperors. They were apparently reluctant to transfer their rights as landlords but were forced to do so under pressure from the Mughal court.
From Kalikata to Calcutta
Kalikata was called Calcutta by the officers of British East India Company and the development took place with the hands of the officers of British East India Company and later the British Government of India after 1857.
|More Articles in History of Kolkata (24)|