Location of Chinnakada Clock Tower
Chinnakada Clock Tower is situated in the city centre at Chinnakada. Chinnakada Clock Tower lies in the heart of the city, close to Kollam Junction Railway Station.
Historical Significance of Chinnakada Clock Tower
Chinnakada Clock Tower was built in the erstwhile Travancore state. It has now become a non-official emblem of the entire city and the major landmark of Kollam. The quadrangular clock tower was built in 1944 by the natives as a tribute to Unichakam Veedu K G Parameshwaran Pillai, the former chairman of Kollam Municipality from 1932-1948. The construction of Chinnakada Clock Tower began in 1941 and was completed three years later in brick and white cement. The tower has four clocks facing the four directions of the city, which were brought from Kolkata.
Chinnakada Clock Tower in Modern Days
The development of the Chinnakada area including the Chinnakada Clock Tower is the most important junction development project by the Municipal Corporation of Kollam. The works have been initiated by the shifting of city bus stand to Andamukkam. The former Left Democratic Front Government of Kerala decided to develop Kollam as an international city using Delhi's Chandni Chowk as a model. Chinnakada Clock Tower is now the tourist landmark and it carries the architectural design of the colonial era, during the rule of British East India Company and the British Empire in India.
Chinnakkada is considered the heart of the Kollam and one of the major junctions in the city where National Highways - NH 66 (Earlier NH 47) meets NH 744 (Earlier NH 208). Because of the presence of a huge traffic circle in the junction, it became one of the busiest junctions in the state.