Vagharelo Bhaat is a Gujarati style tempered rice or seasoned rice which is usually made from leftover rice. This is a warm and moderately spiced rice dish that is ideal for a cold, rainy day.
Vagharelo Bhaat is the flavourful Gujarati version of the ubiquitous vegetable pulao. It is usually prepared using leftover rice that has been cooked in a spicy buttermilk mix. It is a popular winter dish, and is often served to children to help treat any seasonal ailments. Each family from Gujarat has a special way of making the Vagharelo Bhaat recipe. Gujarati grandmothers typically serve this dish to children who are suffering from seasonal colds with the belief that the warmth of the dish will help release congestion and aid better eating. At Gujarati homes the Vagharelo Bhaat is served as a one dish meal or along with Theplas.
Basmati Rice - 1 and 1/2 cup
Potato - 1 and 1/2 cup, diced
Green Peas - 1 cup
Carrots - 1 cup, diced
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaver - 2 tbsp, finely chopped (for garnishing)
1. Clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for atleast 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds and fry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the asafoetida, potatoes, green peas, carrots and salt and saute on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and rice and stir again for 5 minutes till it is evenly mixed
5. Add 3 cups of hot water, cover the lid and simmer till the rice is cooked.
6. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve Vagharelo Bhaat hot with kadhi, curd and papad.
Tips for Vagharelo Bhaat
However, remember not to keep stirring often, to avoid the rice grains from crumbling. Use hot water to speed-up the cooking process.