Sambharo is traditionally a Gujarati dish which is a quick stir fry made of cabbage and carrots. It is flavoured mildly with chillies and spices. It works as a side dish as well.
Sambharo is a stir fry often made with carrot, cabbage, papaya and chilies. It is often served with Gujarati snacks and farsans as an accompaniment or as a side dish with meal and the leftover sambharo can be used to make sandwiches and to stuff in parathas. Gujarati Sambharo is a well-known traditional side dish that is often found in a Gujarati cuisine or thali or meal. It is a simple side dish made from sliced cabbage and carrot stir fried with mustard seeds and green chilies with some Indian spices. It is prepared almost daily in a Gujarati house-hold. The crunchy taste of cabbage along with a tinge of spiciness of chilies goes well with any Indian curry meal.
Preparation of Sambharo
Grated or shredded vegetables are tempered in mustard, curry leaves and green chilies and then stir fried or cooked slightly so the vegetables should retain the crunch and crispiness. Then sugar and lemon juice is added to give a sweet and sour taste. It can be served hot or cold.
Carrot - 2 cups, julienned
Cabbage - 3 cups, julienned
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Tempering:
Oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 10
Green Chillies - 3, slit lengthwise
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
2. When seed starts crackling add asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies.
3. Now add turmeric powder and grated cabbage and saute for few seconds.
4. Then add grated carrot, salt and mix well.
5. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes or till slightly cooked but remain crisp and crunchy.
6. Add sugar and lemon juice, mix well and remove from the gas stove.
7. Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve it as side dish along with Gujarati main course like roti, sabzi and buttermilk.