Ingredients for the Outer Covering:
Ingredients for the Filling:
Ingredients for the Seasoning:
1. Soak the chana dal in sufficient water for overnight. Drain and keep it aside.
2. Heat water in a thick bottomed pot and add salt and cumin seeds as soon as it starts boiling.
3. Switch off the flame, add rice flour to it and mix well till it forms a dough. Transfer it to a plate. Allow it to cool slightly.
4. Now dip fingers in little water and form a smooth dough using the hands. Cover it with wet cloth and keep it to rest till use.
5. Grind chana dal with green chillies and garlic to a coarse paste. Do not add water at all while grinding.
6. Add cumin seeds and salt and grind till the chana dal are mashed.
7. Add coriander leaves. Now, the filling is ready.
8. Divide the dough into equal sized balls and keep aside.
9. Take one ball and press it between the palms and shape it with the fingers to form a small circle.
10. Keep a small lump of the filling inside. Cover it into desired shapes. Repeat this with the rest of the rice balls.
11. Place the Pithas in a steamer and steam for around 15-20 mins till a knife inserted comes out clear.
12. Cut into desired shapes and pour seasoning of curry leaves and mustard seeds over it.
13. Serve the Dal Pithas with Mint Coriander Chutney or Roasted tomato Chutney.
|More Articles in Bihar Cuisine (7)|