1. Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add in the oil.
2. When the oil is hot, add in the mustard seeds.
3. When they splutter, add urad dal and asafoetida. Roast for a few seconds till the dal turns golden yellow.
4. Add in the chopped shallots, curry leaves and green chillies. Fry the onions till they are soft.
5. Once the onions are soft, add in the coconut. Fry for a minute. Remove off heat.
6. Add in the onion coconut mixture to the idli/dosa batter. Add salt if required.
7. Heat the paniyarakkal until hot. Add 3/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil into each mould.
8. Pour the batter with the help of a spoon in each mould till they are 3/4th full. Close the pan with a lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Then turn and cook on the other side. Turn again if necessary to make sure the paniyaaram is evenly cooked on both sides and its nicely golden in colour.
10. The paniyaaram is ready if it has become crispy and golden on both sides.
11. Serve hot with any chutney of ones choice.
|More Articles in Chettinad Cuisine (6)|