1. Mix finely chopped onions, coconut, coriander leaves, curry leaves and green chillies, capsicum and grated carrot in a bowl.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal and urad dal.
3. Add the above to the rice powder with salt and mix with water to make a dough.
4. Add oil to this in order to avoid getting stuck to the hands.
5. Apply oil on a polythene paper or take a piece of cloth.
6. Make balls of the rice mix and spread one on the paper with the hand in the shape of rotis.
7. Heat oil in a pan.
8. Put the roti in it and cook with oil on both the sides.
9. Repeat the procedure for the remaining dough.
10. Serve with coconut chutney and yoghurt.
Always grease the surface before patting the roti also wet the hands with water in between the process to helps pat them evenly. To make Akki Roti soft one can make the dough little watery or increase coconut quantity or add mashed cooked rice. Always use warm water for kneading the dough.
|More Articles in Mangalorean Cuisine (6)|