Akki Roti is a very popular Mangalorean breakfast item prepared with rice flour. Akki Roti means ‘rice pancake’ in the native Kannada language. Finely chopped onions, grated carrots, chopped coriander and cumin seeds can also be added to the Akki Roti dough. There are few different versions of these rotis based on the regions of Karnataka. However vegetables like grated carrot, cucumber, bottle gourd, capsicum are also used based on the regions.
Rice Powder - 2 cups
Onions - 2 medium sized, finely chopped
Coconut - 3 tbsp, grated
Green Chillies - 4 to 5
Carrot - 1, grated
Capsicum - 1, cut into small pieces
Curry Leaves - 4 to 5
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp
Channa Dal - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water as required
1. Mix finely chopped onions, coconut, coriander leaves, curry leaves and green chillies, capsicum and grated carrot in a bowl.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal and urad dal.
3. Add the above to the rice powder with salt and mix with water to make a dough.
4. Add oil to this in order to avoid getting stuck to the hands.
5. Apply oil on a polythene paper or take a piece of cloth.
6. Make balls of the rice mix and spread one on the paper with the hand in the shape of rotis.
7. Heat oil in a pan.
8. Put the roti in it and cook with oil on both the sides.
9. Repeat the procedure for the remaining dough.
10. Serve with coconut chutney and yoghurt.
Always grease the surface before patting the roti also wet the hands with water in between the process to helps pat them evenly. To make Akki Roti soft one can make the dough little watery or increase coconut quantity or add mashed cooked rice. Always use warm water for kneading the dough.
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Food
Coffee is a widely consumed beverage prepared from the roasted seeds of the coffee plant.
|• ||Tamarind Pulp|
Tamarind Pulp is the thick pulp of ripe fruit of Tamarind which is commonly used as condiment.
|• ||Rosemary Leaves|
Rosemary Leaves in dried form act as spice as well as flavouring agent. It possesses a fragrant equivalent to tree. Rosemary is a woody herb. It can also be used to improve skin, help hair growth, prevent infection and speed wound healing.
|• ||Celery Seed|
Celery seed is the dried ripe fruit of the umbelliferous herb. It is usually 60 to 180 cm high, and erect, with conspicuously jointed stems bearing well-developed leaves on long expanded petioles.
|• ||Cuisine of Haryana|
Cuisine of Haryana is pure and nutritious. The Haryanvis prefer simple foods that are wholesome and fresh.