1. Take the rice powder, salt, peanut oil, crushed black pepper and nigella in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Add water and make a smooth dough.
3. Divide it into about 40 small balls.
4. Take little dough and roll them into the palm as finger shape. Make thin and long smooth rolls.
5. Boil water in a deep pan.
6. Drop rolled finger shaped rice dough into the boiling water and boil them for few minutes.
7. Steam cook the pithas for about 10-15 minutes.
8. Take the pithas out and immediately dip the hot pithas in cold water for 3-4 minutes and drain.
9. In a heavy bottom pan heat the oil.
10. Temper with cumin seeds and dry chillies.
11. Add the onion pieces and fry upon medium heat for about 10 seconds.
12. Sprinkle turmeric powder and stir.
13. Add the pithas, carrot pieces and half of the tomato pieces. Stir.
14. Add the capsicum pieces and stir for another 10 seconds.
15. Sprinkle salt to taste and sugar and stir.
16. After about a minute add the green chillies and the remaining tomato pieces.
17. When done switch off the gas.
18. Garnish according to choice and serve Aanguli pitha as a tea time snack.
|More Articles in Assamese Cuisine (5)|