History of Peruvannamuzhi
The history of Peruvannamuzhi is closely related to the history of Perambra, a town in Koyilandy taluk of Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of Kerala state. Perambra Village was part of 'Payyormala Nadu' in the past. Payyormala was subject to the Paleri,Avinhatt and Koothali Nayars of Payyormala. They were independent chieftains, with some theoretical dependence on the Kurumbrunad family and also on the Zamorin. In 1941, O.C Jose from Ullattikulam, Chalakudi bought the Peruvannamuzhi area from Avinhatt Thambai's sister Parukutti Amma. In 1941, five people from Travancore, Paikayil Thomman from Paika (Pala) Kottayam, Kallur Joseph from Erumeli, Madathinakathu Chacko, Vattothu Kutty, Kulathinkal Varkey bought the Peruvannamuzhi area from O.C Jose for 10 (ten) rupees per acre. Peruvanamuzhi Fathima Matha Catholic church is established in 1953 under the guidance of Fr. C J Varkey. This was followed by the construction of Fathima Matha Primary School, the first school in the area.
Tourism in Peruvannamuzhi
Kuttiyadi Irrigation Project Dam is situated in Peruvannamuzhi. Peruvannamuzhi is known for adventure tourism, wildlife and research on spice crops. There is a reservoir in Peruvannamuzhi with facilities for boating, and nature reserves. The reservoir supplies irrigation water to Kozhikode, Malapuram and Kannur. Other attractions in Peruvannamuzhi include a crocodile farm and gardens. Peruvannamuzhi is rich in bird life and over ninety species of birds have been recorded at the Experimental Farm of Indian Institute of Spices Research. Peruvannamuzhi forms part of the Malabar Wildlife Sanctuary. This wild life sanctuary is rich in flora and fauna. The reservoirs here provide facilities for speed and row boat cruises during which one can see the Smarakathottam, a precinct built in reminiscence of the freedom fighters of the region. The uninhabited islands, a bird sanctuary and a crocodile farm add to the charm of Peruvannamuzhi.
|More Articles in Hill Stations in Kerala (14)|