(Last Updated on : 03/09/2013)
Maharaja Jyotiprasad Singh Deo was the 67th King of Panchokot dynasty. He was the able son of Raja Harinarayan Singhdeo and grand son of famous Neelmoni Singh. He was born in the year 1881 and died in the year 1938. In spite of being instated to the throne in 1901, he had to wait till 1903, the Panchokot Raj was then under "Court of Words". ln the year 1912, he gained acknowledgment and recognition from the Nawab of Murshidabad Wasif Ali Mirza and in 1921 the British Govt. awarded him the title 'Raja Bahadur of' Kashipore which was then the capital of "Panchokot", but Jyotiprosad's various activities was not centralized within only his state-jurisdiction.
His contribution to social nexus goes beyond the range of expression. It was under his patronage that chief priest Shri Rakhal Chandra Chakraborty wrote books like "Panchokot ltihas', "Jagaddeo", Rakhaler Gan", Kalyaneshwari Matar Shankha Poridhan" etc. Apart from founding the 'Raj Rajeswari Temple' at Kashipore and the Kalimata Jyotiswar Shib Mondir" at holy place of Kashi
, he also founded a printing press from where he published number of books. Thus the availability of books of vernacular medium was more accessible. The beautiful palace of Kashipore was built during his tenure in 1920. lt took 12 years of time at the cost of Rs. 32 Lakhs, In 1926 he founded the Saraswata Samaj in Kashipore. lt was a cultural organization, involved with Classical Song, Yatra, Drama, Literary Works, educational activities.
Again he also built up a well stocked library with a multi-lingual assortment and anthology of books from India and abroad in his palace. He paid apposite attention to the traditional/ folk literature and culture as well as modern theatre, modern music instruments as well as traditional Sanskrit education etc. His cultural bent of mind resonated well with his mental willingness to do well for his subjects.
His generosity was legendary. Only few from the list: He donated a sum of One Lakh Rupees for Purulia Sadar Hospital. And Fifty Thousand rupees for Purulia Lady Duffrin Hospital, plus Fifty thousand rupees went into the lmperial Relief Fund and Ten Thousand rupees for St. John Ambulance working in the war-affected Arabian Countries and Ten Thousand donated or building to Purulia Victoria School. Apart from all this, he aided draught incapacitated folks as well as the victims shattered by the ravages of Earthquake. His magnanimity and donated hand-outs were channellised into numerous other facets like schools, hospitals, orphanages, women's associations, founding of idols, and retreat for leprosy patients, setting up water facilities and communication systems.