Hauz Khas was a large reservoir that had been built by Ala-ud-din Khilji. It once served as the water catchments for the city. The village is doted with ancient and amiable ruins that are located in the vicinity as well as modern and posh shopping complex that have been built here. The madarsa, tombs and mosque around it built here by Feroz Shah Tuglaq are a visitor's delight.
History of Hauz Khas
Hauz Khas has been named after an ancient water reservoir that has the same name. It is now a part of the extensive Hauz Khas Complex. The word 'Hauz' in Urdu language means 'water tank' or a lake and 'Khas' means 'royal.' Thus the word Hauz Khas means the 'Royal tank.' There is a plaque located at the site that records the fact that the huge water tank or reservoir had been first built by Ala-ud-din Khilji in the year 1296-1316. It was constructed for supplying water to the residents of Siri Fort.
Hauz Khas is the second city of medieval Delhi. It was originally known as Hauz-i-Alai after Khilji. The silted tank was later re-excavated by Firoz Shah Tughlaq. He raised here many buildings on its southern and eastern banks. These are now known as Hauz-Khas or royal tank. Inside the complex there is an ancient structure of much importance. It is the tomb of Firuz Shah Tughlaq. According to an inscription found here the tomb was later repaired and renovated in the year 1507 AD during the reign of Sikandar Lodhi. He also constructed a multi-storeyed building that comprised of a series of halls and chambers located on the north and west direction of Firuz Shah's Tomb. This attractive structure was built in the year 1354 AD. It building was constructed to support a madrasa or college for theological training. Staircases lead down to the tank from the upper storey of the madrasa. A small mosque is also visible here at the extreme corner of the enclosure. Earlier the enclosure has an entrance door from the west side that has now been locked. The octagonal and square chhatris that can be seen here were built as tombs over the graves probably for the teachers attached to the madrasa. Timur, who invaded Delhi in 1399, was highly impressed by the tank and buildings around it.
Geography of Hauz Khas
Hauz Khas had been developed during the 1960s by DLF as Hauz Khas Enclave. However, it was build up into a district of the South Delhi and is presently administered as a district. It is also mentioned as a reference for many other areas like Mayfair Gardens, Padmini Enclave, Safdarjung Development Area, Hauz Khas Village, Kalu Sarai, IIT-Delhi, Shahpur Jat, Asiad Village and institutional areas like on Siri Fort Road and Aurobindo Marg. It also comprises many other areas. Hauz Khas Enclave consists of A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,K,L,M,P,Q,R,X,Y,Z Blocks. The main market located here comprises of the E Block. It is located in the centre of the colony. It has a parking space with many levels. The G block, Aurobindo Market and several other markets are located in the vicinity. Many ancient buildings like the Hauz Khas Complex which also consists of the Hauz Khas Lake or Royal Tank, a Mosque and a Tomb. All these structures belong to the Khiliji Dynasty. The Hauz Khas comprises of Mayfair Gardens that is a small independent private colony inside Hauz Khas other than the Padmini Enclave. Mayfair Gardens actually lies between Hauz Khas. The district also consists of one of the largest green areas in Delhi i.e. the Deer Park and Rose Garden. There are many other places to visit in Huaz Khas. The Neeli Masjid and Chor Minar that has been built inside the colony appear to attractive structures that are worth seeing. Hauz Khas Village as well as restaurants hub located here also attract the attention of the tourists. Apart from these there are many striking places to see in the vicinity of Hauz Khas like Siri Fort Auditorium, Siri Fort Sports Complex, HUDCO Place and Yusuf Sarai Community Centre.
Hauz Khas also houses many prominent colleges like the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT) and the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi (NIFT). Hauz Khas also has several private schools like Laxman Public School and General Raj's School.
(Last Updated on : 12-04-2016)
|More Articles in Monuments of Delhi (75)|