He was born in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, the Faizabad on 27th March 1981. He started out his boxing at a very young age and received his first training when he was just 13 years old. His first bout at "School State level Boxing" was in the Indian state of Haryana.
Career of Akhil Kumar
Akhil for the first time competed in international boxing in the year 1999 and won Gold medal in the 6th YMCA, Junior International Boxing Championship. He won Gold in International Invitational Boxing Championship in Russia. Two year later he won Gold medal in the flyweight category by defeating Vilitio M Payla (Php) by 20-16.
Akhil qualified for Athens Games by winning the second position at the 1st AIBA Asian 2004 Olympic Qualifying tournament in Guangzhou, PR China. He lost to Uzbekistan's Tulashboy Doniyorov in the final. He lost to Jerome Thomas in the first round of Olympic 2004.
The following year, Akhil won gold medal at the 4th Commonwealth Federation Boxing Championships in Glasgow, Scotland where he defeated Bongani Mahalangu of South Africa by a narrow margin of 18-17 in the 54 kg final.
2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games
2006 Commonwealth Games saw him win the gold medal in Bantamweight 54 kg category by edging out Nigerian Nestor Bolum and defeating Mauritian Bruno Julie in the final.
2008 Beijing Olympics
Kumar qualified for 2008 Olympic Games. He made his way to the second round. But unfortunately he lost in the quarter finals on 18th August 2008.
Awards by Akhil Kumar
Akhil Kumar received the Arjuna Award in 2005.
Achievement of Akhil Kumar
* Champions of Champion tournament February 2009 at China won Bronze
* World Cup 2008 at Moscow won Bronze
* Beijing Olympic Boxing 2008 China, Quarter Finalist
* Beijing Olympic Boxing Qualifying Feb. 2008 at Bangkok won Gold (Best Boxer)
* 24th Sr. Asian Boxing championship June 2007 at Mongolia won Bronze
* 15th Asian Games Dec. 2006 at Doha as Participant
* SAF Games Dec. 2006 at Colombo won gold
* 18th commonwealth Games march 2006 at Melbourne won gold
* 13th world boxing championship Nov. 2005 at China
* 4th commonwealth boxing championship Aug. 2005 at Scotland won gold
* Pre, Olympic Aug. May 2004 at Athens won Bronze
* 1st AFRO- Asian games Nov. 2003 at Hyderabad won gold
* 3rd commonwealth boxing championship Sep. 2003 at Malaysia won Bronze
* 12th world boxing championship July 2003 as Thailand as participant
* Sr. International Boxing Championship at Uzbekistan won gold
* 2nd Eduardo Garcia International Tournament June 2003 at Cuba won gold (Best boxer)
* Regatta boxing championship Sep.2002 at Seychelles won gold (Best boxer)
* 21st Asian boxing championship June 2002 at Malaysia as participate
* 11th International boxing tournament Sep. 2002 at Russia won gold
* 4th Brandenburg cup Aug. 1999 at Germany won Bronze