Colvale is believed to have landmarks of the reign of King Porus who defeated Alexander the Great although no such inscriptions or remnants have been found. Colvale is famous for the abundant availability of Murdoshi (lady fish) and Cashew feni, a local drink.
History of Fortress of Colvale
The Fortress of Colvale was constructed in the year 1681 by the court of Alvor as a barrier to safeguard the Bardez frontier against the Marathas and Bhonsles.
In the year 1739 it was annexed by the Maratha warriors and after 2 years later it was recaptured by the Marquis of Lourical. The fort had a small garrison, besides a regiment. In the year 1841, the regiment was shifted to Mapusa and the fortress lost its importance gradually as for a few years it had been abandoned and neglected.
Architecture of Fortress of Colvale
The fort has the influence of the Portuguese and Hindu architecture. During the stay of the Marathas in this fort, they have re-designed some parts of the monument based on the local architectural style. Though most parts of the fort are ruined, its structural importance can still be comprehended.
The fort was primarily made of brick and stone along with mud. The size of the fort is considered to be quite huge. The exterior end of the fort has walls which are quite high that were important for the Portuguese and the Marathas during their rule as it could help them to stop enemies from entering the fort. It is believed that the interior of the fort once had the bastions and cannons of the Marathas and the Portuguese rulers, but since most parts of the fort has ruined in the present day context, very little traces of the same can be seen.
Attractions of Fortress of Colvale
For many who visit the Ruins of the Fortress of Colvale, the place still holds a charm given its fantastic location and panoramic view of the riverfront. It is a popular picnic spot for most locals and travelers who come to this place.
|More Articles in Monuments of Goa (17)|