As he was a conservative Hindu he opposed Ram Mohan Roy in the abolition of Sati System. He was also the founder of the Dharma Sabha. He was one of the great thinkers of his time.
He wanted to prevent the violation between the old and new forms of religion in the society. He reprinted many ancient manuscripts wanted the youth to conduct himself as a righteous Hindu. The Dharma Sabha was established on 17 January in the year1830 to protest against Ram Mohan's initiative to abolish the Sati System. He was the Secretary of the Dharma Sabha. It was also aimed at restoring the traditional religion. The branches of the Dharma Sabha were established in Dhaka, Patna, Danapur, Andul.
Bhabani Charan started with Sambad Kaumudi. It was published in the name of Bhabani Charan Bandyopadhyay though Ram Mohan Roy was the owner. His wit was reflected in his satirical works. He brought in a fresh air of charm and humour in Bengali literature. In Samachar Darpan, several works came out like Babur Upakhyan, Briddhyer Bibaho, Brahmin Pundit and others.
The books that were written or edited by him:
* Kalikata Kamalalay (1823): This book is about the behaviour, customs and cleverness of speech adopted by the people of the city of Kolkata.
* Hitopodesh (1823): This is about salutary advices & teachings with original religious verses in Sanskrit.
* Nabababubilas or the Amusements of the Modern Baboo (1825): This was the first book published by him. It provides a satirical view of the education of the rich and their habits.
* Dyutibilash (1825): This is a description of parties arranged by high society women.
* Nababibibilash (1831): This describes similar acts and habits of the wives of the rich men.
* Sri Sri Gayatirtha Bistar: This is a mythological work.
* Ashcharya Upakhyan (1835): This is a narration about the glorious deeds of one a zamindar called Kalishankar Roy.
* Purushottam Chandrika (1844): This contains different type of description and tales of various places in and around Puri, Bhubaneswar.
The ancient Sanskrit texts that are edited by him:-
* Prabodhchandrodaya Natakam
* Unavimsha Samhita
* Raghunatha Bhattacharyakrita Ashtavimshati Tatva Navya Smriti
|More Articles in Bengali Literature (171)|