History of Calcutta Medical College
The Indian Medical Service (IMS) was set up in India by the British East India Company in 1764. Its goal was to take care of the medical necessities of the Europeans during the British Raj in India. Officers of IMS were in charge of the administration of military and civilian hospitals in the cities of Bombay, Madras and Calcutta. It was during this time that the government decided to recruit about 20 young Indian natives who would serve as doctors in all the hospitals of the province of Bengal. This led to the creation of 'Native Medical Institution' (NMI) in 1822. European books in the disciplines of surgery, anatomy and medicine began to be translated in Indian languages for training the native students who were learning medicine in NMI. Students were also educated in 'Unani' and 'Ayurveda' in Sanskrit College and Calcutta Madrasa.
Lord William Bentinck, the Lieutenant General of British India during that period made an attempt to familiarize proper medical training in Bengal in 1833. As the year was about to end, a Committee supervised by Lord Bentinck was ordered to submit a report concerning the state of medical education in Bengal. The Committee declared the kind of medical training imparted by NMI was faulty and lacked practical knowledge on anatomy. The NMI was dissolved and the medical classes at Sanskrit College and Calcutta Madrasa were terminated. Consequently, the then government proposed the construction of a new building which was termed Calcutta Medical College (CMC). The classes were started in an old house at the back of the Hindu College.
Since the then government had passed the official resolution on 28th January, the college observes its Foundation Day on this very day. In May 1835, new premises were constructed on land donated by Motilal Sheel. The College has undergone several changes ever since its inception. Till 2002 the admitted batch of the college was affiliated to the University of Calcutta. The Calcutta Medical College is now formally affiliated to the newly established West Bengal University of Health Sciences. The college and the hospital are funded and administered by the Government of West Bengal. Numerous notable personalities like Dwarkanath Tagore, Professor Goodeve and Ram Comul Sen had provided financial assistance to some brilliant students who aspired to study in Calcutta Medical College. Scholarships were offered to deserving candidates during that time.
Courses Offered at Calcutta Medical College
Calcutta Medical College offers many courses in postgraduate (PG) levels and a single course in undergraduate (UG) level. The undergraduate course is called MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Facilities Provided by Calcutta Medical College
The college department of Calcutta Medical College is located on the north-west side of the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital campus. This educational institute provides certain facilities to its students. There is a college canteen adjoining to the Administrative Block of the Calcutta Medical College.
Students' Playground: Near the Administrative Block, there is a little lawn area which is often used by the students as a playground. This area is popularly called 'The Oval'.
College Library: Students can utilize the college library which is on the first floor of the Administrative Block Calcutta Medical College.
College Auditorium: It is located on the second floor of the Administrative Block and also used as the examination hall.
Besides the above mentioned facilities, the college is also equipped with a students common room, and proper laboratories. The students of Calcutta Medical College celebrate several events and festivals like their annual inter-college festival named 'Rhapsody', 'Saraswati Puja', 'Rabindra Jayanti' and seminars or academic workshops conducted in the college. There are three large lecture theatres and an anatomy dissection hall with museum as well.
Distinguished Alumni of Calcutta Medical College
Madhusudan Gupta, one of the first students of Calcutta Medical College, became the first Indian to perform a successful dissection of the human body.
Departments of Medical College and Hospital
Medical College and Hospital Building, Ezra Hospital Casualty Block (Sir John Anderson Casualty Block), David Hare Block (erstwhile Prince of Wales building), Eden Hospital, Green Building, Regional Institute of Ophthalmology and School of Tropical Medicine are a few blocks of the college. The hospital services of the Calcutta Medical College include, outdoor services, indoor services, counselling and the diagnostic and investigation.