(Last Updated on : 14/06/2016)
, there is no better natural remedy than a fast for the treatment of Gout
. Fresh air and outdoor exercise are also indispensable. The patient should get rid of as much stress from his life as possible. Gout is a type of arthritis
with sudden attacks of pain and red, tender joints, often occurring at the foot and big toe.
Diet Therapy for Gout
The patient should embark on a fast
for 5 to 7 days on orange juice and water. In severe cases, it is advisable to undertake a series of short fasts for 3 days or so rather than one long fast. Warm water enema should be used on a daily basis during the period of fasting to cleanse the bowels. After the acute symptoms of gout have subsided, the patient may adopt an all-fruit diet for further 3 or 4 days. In this regimen, he should have 3 meals a day of juicy fruits
such as grapes, apples, pears, peaches, oranges and pineapple.
After the all-fruit diet, the patient may slowly embark upon the following diet:
Breakfast: Fruits such as oranges, apples, figs, apricot, mangoes, whole wheat bread or dalia and milk or butter-milk.
Lunch: Steamed vegetables such as lettuce, beets, celery, water-cress, turnips, squash, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage and potatoes, chapatis of whole wheat flour, cottage cheese and butter-milk.
Dinner: Sprouts such as alfalfa, a good-sized salad of raw vegetables such as carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, whole wheat bread and butter.
The patient should avoid uric acid producing foods such as all meats, eggs and fish. He should also avoid all intoxicating liquors, tea
, sugar, white flour and its products and all canned and processed foods. Spices
should be used as little as possible.
Home Remedies for Gout
1. The cherry, sweet or sour, is considered a successful medication for gout. To start with, the patient should consume about 15 to 25 cherries a day. Thereafter, about 10 cherries a day will keep the disease under control.
2. Foods high in potassium such as potatoes, bananas, leafy green vegetables, beans and raw vegetable juices are protective against gout.
3. Carrot juice in combination with juices of beet and cucumber is particularly valuable.
4. The juice of French or string beans has also proved effective in the healing of gout.
5. Raw potato juice and fresh pineapple juices are also beneficial.
6. Apple cider vinegar helps treat gout and arthritis. The acidity in apple cider vinegar will help relieve acute pain.
Water Therapy for Gout
Epsom salt is another useful ingredient for home treatment of gout and other forms of arthritis
. Soaking the affected body part in warm water mixed with Epsom salt relaxes aching muscles and relieves pain. The feet should be bathed in Epsom salt foot bath twice on a daily basis. Half a pound to one pound of salt may be added to a foot bath of hot water. Full Epsom salt baths should also be taken 3 times a week. The baths may be reduced to 2 per week later. Cold packs at night, applied to the affected joints, will be advantageous.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Types of Arthritis
Raw Juice Therapy