The patient should have a bowel movement at the same time each day and spend ten to fifteen minutes in the endeavour. Drinking 2 glasses of water the first thing in the morning will stimulate a normal bowel movement. An enema may be used if no bowel movement occurs. Complete bed rest and plenty of liquids are very essential. The patient should eliminate all causes of tension, adjust to his disability and face his anxiety with patience.
Raw Juice Therapy for Colitis
It is wise to observe a juice fast for 5 days or so in most cases of ulcerative colitis. The juices may be diluted with a little boiled water. Papaya juice, raw cabbage and carrot juices will be in particular beneficial. Citrus juices should be avoided. The bowel should be cleansed daily with a warm water enema.
Diet Therapy for Colitis
In the natural remedy, diet plays an important part in the treatment. After the juice fast, the patient should gradually adopt a diet of small, regular meals of soft cooked or steamed vegetables, rice, dalia (coarsely broken wheat), well ripened fruits like banana and papaya, yogurt and home-made cottage cheese. Sprouted seeds and grains, whole wheat bread and raw vegetables may be added gradually to this diet after about 10 days. All food must be eaten slowly and chewed carefully.
Foods which should be excluded from the diet are white sugar, white bread and white flour products, highly seasoned foods, highly salted foods, strong tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages and foods cooked in aluminium pans.
Home Remedies for Colitis
1. Ripe bananas are highly advantageous in the treatment of ulcerative colitis, being bland, smooth, easily digested and slightly laxative.
2. Another valuable remedy for ulcerative colitis is the use of buttermilk. It is the residual milk left after the fat has been removed from yogurt by churning. Buttermilk enema twice a week is also comforting and helps in re-installing a healthy flora in the colon.
3. An effective cure for colitis is tender coconut water; it is soothing to the soft mucosa of the colon.
4. Cooked apple also aids the healing of ulcerative conditions because of its sufficient concentration of iron and phosphorous.
5. Consumption of water with fennel seeds soaked in it overnight is another important home remedies in Ulcerative Colitis.
6. Aloe Vera can help treat mild to moderate ulcerative colitis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
7. Wheat grass juice has been found to be beneficial for those suffering from ulcerative colitis due to its antioxidant properties. It can reduce abdominal pain, diarrhoea and rectal bleeding caused by this chronic condition.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Raw Juice Therapy
(Last Updated on : 07-07-2016)
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|