Architecture of Holy Trinity Cathedral
The Holy Trinity Cathedral has an oblong edifice which measures about 64 ft and serves as a nucleus for this massive Cathedral which developed in later years. The amount spent in the construction of this cathedral came as donations not only from Christians, but from Hindus and Muslims as well. Venga Mudaliar had donated Punjai land for the maintenance of this church. Several renovations and additions were also made to this structure. A stately steeple of 158 ft was added by Rev. Pettilt in the year 1845 which thus made the church a landmark all over the district and is popularly known as the Oosi Gopuram. The resonant bell inside the church was installed in 1850 and was actually a gift imported from London. The clock that is fixed on the cathedral tower is banked upon by the entire neighbourhood for over many decades.
Several improvements, extensions and renovation works have taken place subsequently in the years from 1846 to 1998. In the year 1940, Bishop Stephen Neil raised its status as the Holy Trinity Cathedral. Painting, flooring and other extensions were also made in the following years. This church is involved in a number of social services and plays a major role not only in spiritual upliftment of its people but also in the material upliftment like distributing free food and clothing, providing education and helping the poor and needy in the construction of their houses etc.
Visiting Information on Holy Trinity Cathedral
The Tirunelveli Junction Railway Station is the closest at a distance of 2.6 km from the cathedral while the Tuticorin Airport of Tamil Nadu is the nearest at a mere distance of 36 km from the Holy Trinity Cathedral.