The Jhalawar Fort (Garh Palace) is situated in the centre of town, and is among the most famous tourist attractions of Jhalawar. It was built by Maharajrana Madan Singh in between 1840-45. Later on, his successors added beautiful paintings inside the rooms which can be seen with the permission of the appropriate authorities. The Zenana Khas has some excellent frescoes on both walls and mirrors, prime examples of the Hadoti School of art. This beautiful monument now houses the Collectorate and other offices.
Gagron Fort is a renowned fort located 12Kms away from Jhalawar. The foundation of this magnificent fort was laid in the 7th century and its construction completed in the 14th century. Outside the fort is the Dargah of Sufi Saint Mittheshah, where a fair is held every year during the month of Moharram. Nearby is the monastery of Saint Pipa Ji, a contemporary of Kabir, the Bhakti Saint. Gagron Fort is perched on a low ridge at the confluence of the Ahu River and the Kali Sindh River. The fort is surrounded by these rivers on three sides. There used to be a moat on the fourth side, thus completing its defenses. Gagron is among the rare forts which are both a van durg and a jal durg - i.e. both forest-protected and water-protected. It is surrounded by forests and has behind it the Mukundarrah range of hills.
Manohar Thana Fort is a well-walled town with a strong fort. The name Manohar Thana literally means 'beautiful outpost'. Manohar Thana was a principal seat of Bhil kings who were supplanted by Hada Rajputs of Bundi, and occupied a very important strategic position. The fort commands the meeting place of two rivers, Parvan and Kaalikhad. The fort has been made impregnable with double fortifications. There is an outer wall and battlements, inside which runs another circle of walls and battlements. A good Dak-Bunglow has been recently constructed here in the fort with beautiful vegetation around. Manohar Thana fort is located 90 Kms from Jhalawar.
The oldest inscription of the area was found at the fort of Gangdhar. The fort is a remarkable construction with some marvellously built temples which are well worth a visit. It is located 140 Kms from Jhalawar.
The Bhawani Natya Shala was constructed in 1921 by Maharaja Bhawani Singh. It is a unique theatre which was built for the performance of plays and other cultural events. It was a popular Parsi theatre earlier. It has been recently revived and gives a very good insight into the theatre. It is quite a unique structure and an architectural marvel. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that its deep stage with its underground construction allows the horses, and even the chariots, to appear on stage. Believed to be one of the eight such theatres in the world, in its heyday it was the venue of great plays ranging from Shakuntalam to Shakespeare's classics.
The Ren Basera, on the Jhalawar-Kota Road, just 6 km short of Jhalawar town is a beautiful wooden cottage located on the banks of Kishan Sagar. Maharaja Rajendra Singh brought it to the Jhalawar from an exhibition held in Lucknow. It was originally constructed by the Forest Research Institute of Dehradun.
Bhimsagar Dam is located 24 Kms from Jhalawar. This dam has been built on the Ujad River near the ruins of the old capital of Khichi Chauhans-'Mau Borda'. One can find ruins of the palaces, temples and mosques, built in both Muslim and Rajput architectural style. The dam is an excellent picnic spot.
Chhapi Dam is located 54 Kms from Jhalawar. It is a place of antiquity streamed with beautifully carved pillars, torans and some erotic figures in the ruins of temples scattered over an area of 2 Kms. It stands on the bank of river Chhapi. Dense green forests with lush foliage add to the natural beauty of the spot.
The Government Museum, established in 1915 and located outside the fort palace, is one of the oldest museums of Rajasthan. It houses rare manuscripts, paintings, coins, and the sculptures and statues of various gods and goddesses are especially noteworthy. Inscriptions from the 5th and 7th century are also seen here. Many idols that have been recovered from ancient ruins are added here. The Ardhnarishvara Natraj, from this museum, was displayed in Moscow, during the Festival of India celebrations.
Thus listed above are the many places of leisure tourism located in the district of Jhalawar.
|More Articles in Jhalawar District (6)|