The name Lakhimpur is believed to be originated from the word "Lakshmi", the goddess of prosperity. The district is mainly dependent upon agriculture and paddy. Paddy is regarded locally as "Lakhimi". The word "pur" means "full". Lakhimpur therefore means full of paddy or the place where paddies are grown abundantly. Besides, the soil of the district is alluvial and fertile for which crops flourish without use of any artificial manure or hard labour. Over and above fish, meat, vegetables, milk were abundant in this district. Others say that the word originated from Lakhsmi Devi, the mother of Bhuyan Raja who was the descendent of King Arimatta . As per Lakhimpur District Gazette (1976:4) , the district was notified as Lakhimpur District through a proclamation issued by then Governor General on July, 1839. On 2nd October, 1971 the district was reorganized with two sub divisions viz. Dhemaji and North Lakhimpur . Later it was again reorganized in the year 1980 with two subdivisions viz. Dhakuakhana and North Lakhimpur leaving Dhemaji as a separate district.
The district was earlier regarded as "Koliapani" because there was practically no road communication to this district till 1950. In the year 1954, the temporary aerodrome was started. From 1957 the ASTC buses started plying from Lakhimpur and from 1963 the North East Frontier Railway started train services from this district.
Lakhimpur District is situated on the North East corner of Assam . The district lies between 26048’ and 27053’ northern latitude and 93042’ and 94020’ east longitude (approx.)
Airport Name North Lakhimpur Airport