History of Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce and Economics
Founded in the year 1960 the college presently has five hundred students. HR College was the first college to go autonomous. The College has always endeavoured to build up the overall personality of its students. With the increase in globalization, well-educated and motivated young generation of the east gradually shifts the capital to Asian markets, an emerging and speedily globalizing workforce and the surfacing of a large number of new consumers in markets of China and India. India possesses a statistic dividend of about 500 million or more youngsters. The HR College grabs the opportunity with modernized learning and teaching in order to convert into advantage this dividend.
Courses at Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce and Economics
The college offers courses in Commerce and Management Studies. Fifty percent of the seats in this college are reserved for Sindhi minority. HR College is viewed as one of the best institutes in the city of Mumbai. One of the most refreshing features of college activity is the Talent Parade along with its fashion show, which provides a pageant to display their youthful talent such as music and dance. The college was the first institute which introduced the course on Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS). It has a library which holds around 43,000 books. There are a number of clubs on campus like the Student's Council, the Dramatic Society- Shristhi and the Hindi Sahitya Parishad. The HR College offers all modern facilities and comforts to the women staff and students. The Ladies Common Room bears chairs, comfortable sofas and hygienic attached bathrooms. There is a special lady assistant to cater to the needs of girl students. Facility for locker is also available in the common room. The Women's' Development Cell of HR College takes care of the health and hygiene of the girl students. Ninety five per cent of the College staffs are ladies and the staff room is constructed in order to cater to their needs like well-equipped kitchen, clean washrooms and pantry facilities. The staff room is fully air-conditioned.
Academic Facilities at Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce and Economics
1) Class Rooms: All classrooms have been upgraded with state-of-the-art technology. A large number of classrooms are air-conditioned and have audio-visual techno-savvy facilities such as Computers, LCDs, Wi-Fi system. Other rooms are equipped with a smart-cart facility, pull down screens and whiteboards. (A smart-cart includes a computer and LCD Projector on a trolley which can be transferred to those classrooms which may not have a computer facility).
2) Conference Room and Seminar Room: Both the rooms are air-conditioned, techno-savvy and have been created for conferences, seminars, workshops, distinguished lectures and for classroom presentations. The Seminar Room is also used by faculty for centralized assessment and moderation.
3) ICICI Learning Matrix: In this cell, computers have been installed by ICICI Bank for programmed online learning. The students can learn Banking, Insurance, Management and Finance subjects online and can also undertake online testing. The facility is also useful for faculty to upgrade their skills.
4) Research Cell: A full-fledged Research Cell with modern computer facilities is created for the benefit of staff and students for their research projects.
5) Teaching Learning Material Centre (TLMC): This has been created to provide teaching support to faculty. Books, reference material, visual aids, computer aided teaching material is collected from local and international publishers to assist teachers to customize their teaching.
6) Computer Labs: In keeping with the core NAAC values of fostering a global competency, the college has well-equipped Computer Labs practically on each floor. These are utilized for conducting computer practical, ICT - Certificate Courses and assisting faculty and students in research and project preparations.
7) Library: The College has a well-equipped, open access library with an air-conditioned reading room and language lab. The library has adopted the latest software and has a large collection of books, journals, magazines and audio-visual resources.
Co-Curricular Activities at Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce and Economics
1) Mini Conference Room: A Mini Conference room on the first floor is used for discussion and important meetings. It has an electronic board and a tea-coffee vending machine.
2) Board Room: The Board Room is used for all faculty interviews and staff meetings.
3) Placement Cell: The College has a Placement Cell which looks after placements of all the degree programmes and is supervised by a Placement Director and student assistants. The Placement Cell has well-equipped computer facilities and notice boards.
Other Facilities at Hassaram Rijhumal College of Commerce and Economics
1) Gymnasium: An air-conditioned gym is available for students to plan their sports activities. The college also has tied up with leading clubs and associations for Cricket and Football grounds, Swimming pool facilities, Squash and Tennis courts.
2) Penthouse: This facility is created on the terrace of the building for the students' extra curricular activities. The Penthouse is extensively used for dances, debates, discussions and other activities. It is equipped with a music system and a small cafeteria.
3) The Butterfly Caf‚ is the college canteen. This canteen is the most popular hub where students organize major events.
4) Maintenance and Service Centre: This has been set up to support extra curricular and academic activities by supplying microphones, smart carts, music systems, lighting and other technological needs.
Some of the famous Alumni of the HR College in Mumbai include the famous business man, Kumaramangalam Birla, Bollywood actor Aftab Shivdasani (Actor), Karan Johar (Film Director), Sagarika Ghatge (Actress), Farhan Akhtar(Director), Neil Nitin Mukesh (Actor) etc.
The academic results of the HR College are always outstanding excels in intercollegiate festivals, social service and sports. This is one of the colleges in Mumbai which tries to develop critical thinking in the minds of its students along with ethics. This is supported by techno-savvy classrooms, air-conditioned library equipped with all the relevant books, activity centres for students and up to date computer laboratories. It aims at making a valuable difference in the arena of higher education and in building up future leaders.