Formation of Sivanath Sastri College
Anandamohan Bose was the founder of City School and City College. He ultimately entrusted a Board of Trustees of the 'Sadharon Brahmo Samaj' with the management of the institution. A commerce department was started in the City College in 1939. The South Kolkata branch was started in November 1946 in the premises of south suburban branch school. In July 1952 the South Calcutta Branch shifted to Kalighat. Finally, in 1954 The South Calcutta Branch was accommodated in the new building of the college at Gariahat Road. The foundation stone of the South Calcutta building was laid on January 6th, 1954 by the Late Harendra Kumar Mukherjee, the then Governor of West Bengal. In the year 1955, the section for women started in the same building. That was the time when there was increasing demand for educational institutes for women. Women's education was one of the chief aims of Sadharan Brahmo Samaj and its movement.
In the year 1961, the City College Commerce Department branched off into five separate colleges namely City College of commerce and Business administration, Umesh Chandra College, Heramba Chandra College, Prafulla Chandra College and Sivanath Sastri College. The morning section for women of the South City Commerce Department emerged as Sivanath Sastri College, affiliated to the University of Calcutta and closely tied to the City Group of Colleges in the heritage bond. The College was named after Pandit Sivanath Sastri, a renowned scholar and accomplished writer, a dedicated teacher and the pioneer who advocated for freedom, political, social, religious and educational freedom for women. The institute thrived under the leadership of its first principal, late A.K.Sen who provided well care to this institute.
Courses Offered by Sivanath Sastri College Courses offered by the college are enlisted below:
History, Ancient Indian and World History, Islamic History and Culture
Journalism and Mass Communication
Food and Nutrition
Home Science Extension Education
Library of Sivanath Sastri College
The library was founded on the ideals of the 19th century Brahmo educational movement with its focus on providing quality education to women as pioneered by Pandit Sivanath Sastri. The library provides a large reading room capable of accommodating more than 70 readers at a time. Other facilities include the UGC book bank for needy students and access to the internet.
|More Articles in Colleges in Kolkata (25)|